What to Do....Tryout Dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 20, 2022
Cincinnati
Good Morning Everyone....Just wanted to see if anyone has experience or thoughts on this: Here is the backstory. My daughter was injured 1/2 way through the summer season which ended her playing season (she still attended games to cheer on her team). She had been on the same team for 2 years (A level team). It was to our understanding that our Team would not have a Coach after this season so essentially we thought our Team folded. After not hearing anything for weeks after our season ended, we were sent an email a day ago that a new Coach was found and we were invited to tryout. Here is the dilemma:
1) We had no intention on returning for a variety of reasons, nothing horrible just time to move on
2) Due to my daughter's injury (torn UCL) it is impossible for her to tryout for any other team. She has been receiving therapy a couple times a week, daily home therapy exercises, using the recumbent bike for cardio since she can't run, eating healthy, etc
She returns to the DR on Tuesday and we are hoping he will move her to the next level of therapy (hitting therapy). This is her non throwing arm. Hopefully, she should be cleared to play in the next 4-5 weeks.
We have never been in a position of not having a team and it has created a little bit of anxiety. She is moving into her 2nd year 16U so this is a really important year for her. I did make a video of some of her hitting/fielding high lights for what games she did play this summer and forwarded it to one coach.
Thoughts on how you have or would handle this. Do we wait until she is cleared to play and possibly sub for the fall or would you send video to other coaches. I realize any Coach would be hesitant to take an injured player. Thanks for your input. Thankfully we've never had to deal with this.

Aug 3, 2022
Good Morning Everyone....Just wanted to see if anyone has experience or thoughts on this: Here is the backstory. My daughter was injured 1/2 way through the summer season which ended her playing season (she still attended games to cheer on her team). She had been on the same team for 2 years (A level team). It was to our understanding that our Team would not have a Coach after this season so essentially we thought our Team folded. After not hearing anything for weeks after our season ended, we were sent an email a day ago that a new Coach was found and we were invited to tryout. Here is the dilemma:
1) We had no intention on returning for a variety of reasons, nothing horrible just time to move on
2) Due to my daughter's injury (torn UCL) it is impossible for her to tryout for any other team. She has been receiving therapy a couple times a week, daily home therapy exercises, using the recumbent bike for cardio since she can't run, eating healthy, etc
She returns to the DR on Tuesday and we are hoping he will move her to the next level of therapy (hitting therapy). This is her non throwing arm. Hopefully, she should be cleared to play in the next 4-5 weeks.
We have never been in a position of not having a team and it has created a little bit of anxiety. She is moving into her 2nd year 16U so this is a really important year for her. I did make a video of some of her hitting/fielding high lights for what games she did play this summer and forwarded it to one coach.
Thoughts on how you have or would handle this. Do we wait until she is cleared to play and possibly sub for the fall or would you send video to other coaches. I realize any Coach would be hesitant to take an injured player. Thanks for your input. Thankfully we've never had to deal with this.
I would ask to be a "practice player" until your daughter is healthy enough to play on the field. On my team, we created 2 spots designated for "practice/alternate" players, who are developing players with potential to make the team in the future. They also act as emergency subs in case we are ever short.

The pay a much reduced prorated fee to cover some team expenses and they also get a full uniform in case they are ever asked to play.

And their attendance to practices and games are optional.

Hope this helps.

May 17, 2012
It really depends on what position she plays and how good she is. If she is a solid "A" player then the actual tryout isn't as meaningful. There is enough information on almost any player by the second year 16u, I can tell if a player will be a good fit (or not).

I would reach out to the teams you are interested in and see what they say. I wouldn't hesitate to take a player that was a good fit and only out for a few weeks. A tryout wouldn't be necessary, especially if you have a video, available stats, etc.

In short, the older you get the less important a tryout is.

Jun 27, 2021
Get your daughter healthy first, that's a pretty serious injury. Monitor everything else from a distance in regards to teams, it could be a blessing in disguise by not having a team at this point. If your daughter can play at that level there will be a spot on a team for when she is cleared.

Sep 3, 2015
At 2nd year 16s, everyone should know everyone. You must have played all the other good teams in the area, so they already know who your DD is.

Find the best fit and contact the coach, I doubt there would be much need for a tryout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 1, 2018
I would wait until she is healthy and ready to roll. There is plenty of teams who would look at a girl after season started who is coming off an injury. Typically there is too many teams and not enough girls. So let a few coaches know the situation and that you will be looking for a team once she is healed.

Jul 20, 2022
Cincinnati
Wanted to update this post. My daughter did find another team and she did not have to try out. She was released from the DR about 3-1/2 weeks ago and has played in a couple of tournaments and scrimmages since. Obviously, her performance the first tournament was nothing spectacular but she has continued to improve each week/game. She went 4 for 6 at the plate this past weekend. She has resumed all of her training as well. I appreciated everyone's responses to my posts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802