Tryout Etiquette-shouldn't what happens in tryout stays in tryout?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
One way to do the whole leave the team/tryout thing is to:

a) make it pretty clear on DFP that your kid is leaving and have it filter back to the org so that
b) at the end of the season the coach puts out an ad looking for your kids' position before any in-person discussion has been initiated but then
c) messages you after the ad has been put out saying he would love to have your kid back but only if you stopped saying mean words about him (even though he is never actually named ) on DFP

Not that I know of that happening to anybody but I figured I would just throw it out there....

Well, jees, that happens so often it should just be common sense by now :)

May 7, 2015
SoCal
@The Man In Blue
@MNDad

It was a stupid move on my part, the coach did the right thing in releasing DD. There are many reasons why it is important to have people really want to be on the team (especially at the beginning), vs always looking for the next fit. From what I've learned from the past 3 years is you're either all in or all out.

That was the whole point of this thread, don't plan on doing anything outside of current team unless you discuss openly with existing coach or if that's not an option, quit first then look for new team later. There's ALWAYS options for teams.

Nov 18, 2013
@The Man In Blue
@MNDad

It was a stupid move on my part, the coach did the right thing in releasing DD. There are many reasons why it is important to have people really want to be on the team (especially at the beginning), vs always looking for the next fit. From what I've learned from the past 3 years is you're either all in or all out.

That was the whole point of this thread, don't plan on doing anything outside of current team unless you discuss openly with existing coach or if that's not an option, quit first then look for new team later. There's ALWAYS options for teams.

We’ve all learned as we go and done something dumb.

Oct 4, 2018
@The Man In Blue
@MNDad

Unless your DD is really, really good.

Then you can basically do whatever and the team will always take you back.

:p

Apr 11, 2016
I'd agree with you. Recently, our team had a player's dad tell the coach his daughter wouldn't be coming back because she wanted to explore other opportunities.

The coach proceeded to bad talk the player to the dad pointing out her flaws and saying they are delusional if they think she is good enough for a team that is better than the one she has been playing for. Mind you, the dad saying they wouldn't be coming back was in response to the coach telling him he'd really like her to continue playing for his team next season. 🙄
This is similar to our situation. We told HC DD wanted to try out for only a few top-level teams and just to check out what's out there. We said DD probably wouldn't get a spot but she could at least knew what to work toward when she moved up to 16U. Plus, most teams on current org only went up to 14U before moving onto another org.

Yet, HC wanted DD to stay and said if DD went to these other organizations, she'd be benched most of the time. Said that we were delusional as to how good DD is in fielding. (Exact words were "you guys think she is better than what she really is.)

DD overheard the conversation and said, "I'll play in college, be on TV, and show them how good I can be." DD also said now she really had to get a spot on another team since she didn't want to go back to her old team anymore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414