Tournament format question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
My team is playing in a local B/C tournament this weekend, and I wanted to see if anyone here has ever played in one with a similar format (if a lot of you have, maybe I'm more disappointed than I should be???).

20 teams in 14U. There are 5 pools of 4 teams, but bracket play on Sunday is only the top 8. The other 12 each play a "friendly" (6 games), to reach their 4GG. The worst part to me is, you will end up with 2 teams that finish 2nd in their pool, probably 2-1, and don't make bracket play.

Not looking to rip on the specific tournament or tournament director, just looking for feedback on how normal/abnormal this format is.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My team is playing in a local B/C tournament this weekend, and I wanted to see if anyone here has ever played in one with a similar format (if a lot of you have, maybe I'm more disappointed than I should be???).

20 teams in 14U. There are 5 pools of 4 teams, but bracket play on Sunday is only the top 8. The other 12 each play a "friendly" (6 games), to reach their 4GG. The worst part to me is, you will end up with 2 teams that finish 2nd in their pool, probably 2-1, and don't make bracket play.

Not looking to rip on the specific tournament or tournament director, just looking for feedback on how normal/abnormal this format is.

Fairly unusual to just give remaining teams an extra game rather than a lower/silver bracket.

For a 12 team lower bracket, that would only add another 5 or 6 games over their current plan so it really doesn't feel like that big of a deal. Or they could have just played a single bracket -that wouldn't add many more game either.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
We were just in one tournament with a similar format. 4 pool games, and only if you lost the first bracket game did you have a chance to play more than the guaranteed 6. (Or win out in the winners bracket) We went 3-1 in pool, won our first two bracket games and lost the third. Since we had our 6 game minimum (7 actually), but there was no loser bracket entry for us. Oh well.

Dec 29, 2015
That format seems a lot more common in baseball (where teams don't make bracket play), but even for baseball this one seems a little too aggressive in eliminating teams.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez