"Tip it and rip it"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
During the stride and the hands are coming back, doesn't the "tip" happen naturally? Or is this something that's a forced action?

I would argue that it's definitely a forced action. Go back to post #19 and look at that clip. There's a definite flop-forward of the barrel that is forced, IMO.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I would argue that it's definitely a forced action. Go back to post #19 and look at that clip. There's a definite flop-forward of the barrel that is forced, IMO.

Bautista-Jose-2011-07-03-2-1-Cliff-Lee-Side-360x240.gif

Bautista-Jose-2011-07-03-2-1-Cliff-Lee-Side-300x200-MUST-FEEL.gif

I don't think it happens 'naturally'.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Absolutely ..... the hands will be much more functional that way.

When a hitter does this they make life so much easier for themselves. They give themselves the ability to control the barrel at swing initiation ... they give themselves an opportunity to correctly capture transition of the barrel ... they give themselves a chance to launch the barrel using their hands correctly. Pretty tough to use the bottom hand correctly without this ... not impossible, just much tougher ... and if you use the bottom hand correctly, then the top hand is more able to work correctly.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
When a hitter does this they make life so much easier for themselves. They give themselves the ability to control the barrel at swing initiation ... they give themselves an opportunity to correctly capture transition of the barrel ... they give themselves a chance to launch the barrel using their hands correctly. Pretty tough to use the bottom hand correctly without this ... not impossible, just much tougher ... and if you use the bottom hand correctly, then the top hand is more able to work correctly.

I think of it as activating the barrel before the pitch is identified--having the barrel already moving into the "turn the 'C' " as the pitch is identified. I love what this does for the hitters of mine who are using it. Others have even started asking me, "Should I do that?"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd