"Tip it and rip it"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It's tiresome dealing with these coaches...I'm throwing in the towel on this one. DD's HS AC was a Gold coach on one of the top teams in the country and he hates it, her current TB coach hates it and argues about it, etc... Even my DW agrees with them LOL. They don't care that major schools and people that have reviewed her video like it, she's not playing for them. I'm going to step back at this point and let her decide who she wants to work with. Man, maybe we should have stuck with Travel volleyball. At least they had clean bathrooms!

It isn't like you can't offer helpful instruction without Tip-it-&-Rip-it. Also, there are components of the notion that can be worked into barrel manipulations that folks don't find offensive and won't likely eliminate ..... but, don't be overly surprised if team coaches target removing an outright TnR to opposite field ... it's simply uncommon in FP.

p.s.
I hear you about the bathrooms.

Oct 10, 2011
It isn't like you can't offer helpful instruction without Tip-it-&-Rip-it. Also, there are components of the notion that can be worked into barrel manipulations that folks don't find offensive and won't likely eliminate ..... but, don't be overly surprised if team coaches target removing an outright TnR to opposite field ... it's simply uncommon in FP.

p.s.
I hear you about the bathrooms.
Very true... Just frustrated. So, she's been doing this successfully since September...do you think removing it right before the season would mess her up, or no big deal?

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Very true... Just frustrated. So, she's been doing this successfully since September...do you think removing it right before the season would mess her up, or no big deal?

I gotta say, given I'm a true believer in "Tip-it & Rip-it" for certain hitters, I absolutely hate it when a coach who doesn't understand WHY the hitter was taught it, removes it. Further, they him-haw about how removing it will improve their swing. Good #&(@, if you don't understand it, LEARN about it from those who understand the benefits it can provide some hitters.

These coaches who, when they see it, immediately want it gone, are typically coaches who have a cookie cutter for the hitting mechanics and style they want to see in their hitters.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I wouldn't consider it a "big deal". I also wouldn't approach it from a "removal standpoint", but more a "replacement standpoint" .... that is, I'd keep the important movement pattern that the TnR helped advocate.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
It's tiresome dealing with these coaches...I'm throwing in the towel on this one. DD's HS AC was a Gold coach on one of the top teams in the country and he hates it, her current TB coach hates it and argues about it, etc... Even my DW agrees with them LOL. They don't care that major schools and people that have reviewed her video like it, she's not playing for them. I'm going to step back at this point and let her decide who she wants to work with. Man, maybe we should have stuck with Travel volleyball. At least they had clean bathrooms!

If your daughter is ripping the ball using TNR why would or should they care? I would have her talk to the coaches... Make a deal if she isn't hitting the ball then bale from TNR.

Most kids I work with utilize TNR using their arms... The problem with it doesn't usually show up until they start hitting live where the pitch has some pace..

Oct 10, 2011

If your daughter is ripping the ball using TNR why would or should they care? I would have her talk to the coaches... Make a deal if she isn't hitting the ball then bale from TNR.

Most kids I work with utilize TNR using their arms... The problem with it doesn't usually show up until they start hitting live where the pitch has some pace..
Good question. She hit about 500 in 18u A in the fall in the 5th spot yet he still rips on it every practice. The HS coach only saw her on the tee and immediately changed it. She just met with a new hitting coach last week and the first thing he said was we needed to get rid of it. Again off a tee. FFS is correct in that they just don't understand the benefit it can have for some players.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I took about 100 swings like thing tonight...I'll post some video tomorrow and you guys can laugh hysterically.

I feel the adjustability...I'm trying to get my hands around teaching this to 10 year olds - which is really what the end game is here.

CP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee