"Tip it and rip it"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Pitch height determines the SIZE of the "C".
Low pitch= Big "C"
High pitch= Small "c"

Low Pitch Big "C" on the Left ......................... High Pitch Small "c" on the Right
Cabrera_FB_highside_sync.gif

It's actually the same size "C" but it gets tilted more horizontally on a high pitch so if your looking at the batter from a side view it looks abbreviated on a high pitch. On the clip on the right if the view was from above the batter looking down you would see a big "C"

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I'm curious what you are calling "tip". Do you consider the barrel "tipped" in this video here? If so, at what point?
I think you missed part of my post -- "Although it doesn't much show the 'tip-it' part..."

This clip shows the "turn it" part of the TNT. The other clips of Cabrera clearly show the "tip it" part of his swing.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
It's amazingly easy.

To get them started on it, we did this drill. However, it was 1, 2, 3, swing (all the way).

Then we jumped right to front-toss about 20 feet out.

Good looking drill. Is there a reason he stops after contact? Would the drill be as successful with a full finish on the swing? Or is this some progression working just on a start to contact?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I think you missed part of my post -- "Although it doesn't much show the 'tip-it' part..."

This clip shows the "turn it" part of the TNT. The other clips of Cabrera clearly show the "tip it" part of his swing.

You are correct, I did miss that.

I'm still curious what you personally consider the "tip".

The reason I inquire, is that what some folks consider a "tip" isn't widely used in softball.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Is this the type of "bat tipping" you are instructing?

23sf2bn.gif

No. It's more that initial thing he does. I want to see that initial flop forward followed by the "C", not that bat tip you have outlined. The "tip it" I'm referring to is a reverse motion with the barrel of the bat to help get that "C" action (or turning of the barrel).

I personally wouldn't want them to drop the hands as that guy is doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish