"Tip it and rip it"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Actually all that fancy lower half stuff is what makes the barrel "TIP". Although Bautista has a very active lower half you should know that in any swing the barrel "TIP" is caused by the movement of the lower half. The initial "TIP" is not a hand action. but more the hands following where the body says to go.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
No. It's more that initial thing he does. I want to see that initial flop forward followed by the "C", not that bat tip you have outlined. The "tip it" I'm referring to is a reverse motion with the barrel of the bat to help get that "C" action (or turning of the barrel).

I personally wouldn't want them to drop the hands as that guy is doing.

Would you be describing this here (barrel loading) .....

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Actually all that fancy lower half stuff is what makes the barrel "TIP". Although Bautista has a very active lower half you should know that in any swing the barrel "TIP" is caused by the movement of the lower half. The initial "TIP" is not a hand action. but more the hands following where the body says to go.

I don't think that fancy lower stuff that he did is necessarily what makes the barrel "TIP."

I agree that there should be movement in the lower half, but the kind of wild movement he is doing is not vital in TNT

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Agreed Doug, It doesn't have to be excessive but the TIP does have to come from the body.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Absolutely ..... the hands will be much more functional that way.

Funny you mention the hands being much more functional. My DD seems to be able to adjust to the pitch with this action. And, as mentioned earlier, she really likes swinging at that low inside pitch. She use to say, "Stop throwing that"--the low inside pitch.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Would TNR be another name for rotational hitting?

Rotational v Linear - YouTube

The "rotational" demonstration in that video shows a LOT more disconnected hand movement than is ideal. The barrel should be turned to the plane of the pitch by hand/forearm rotation while remaining connected to the movement of the rear shoulder, not by dropping the hands/bat to the level of the pitch and pulling it around the body.
Cabrera_hands_side.gif

For my DD, the "tip" move gets the feel of the barrel loaded into her hands before the barrel is turned in the opposite direction of the "tip".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy