"Tip it and rip it"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
While the "Tip it and rip it" style of hitting has been mentioned in other threads, I don't think it's had a thread of its own.

For me, this "T-N-R" style was nothing short of awe-inspiring, much like learning about I/R in pitching mechanics. I have converted three of my hitters to "T-N-R" as a means of correcting issues with their swings. Two had a chronic chipping problem (i.e., just couldn't get the "C" behind the ball). The other was always swinging under the ball.

The two who were chronic chippers, seldom do now, as the "T-N-R" is a real focus on turning the barrel (or turning the "C"), my DD is one of them.

The girl who had problem of always swinging under the ball now does not. Funny thing, because those who first look at the "T-N-R" style would fear that it would MAKE you swing under the ball more. Nope, did just the opposite.

Further, with all three, they can really hit the low inside stuff very well, where it use to be a hard one to hit solidly. They simply golf the low inside pitch right up the middle.

The one pitch they need to learn to lay off of is the high outside (out of the strike-zone) pitch they shouldn't be swinging at anyway.

Yup, I quite like this "T-N-R" style of hitting, at least for some of my hitters. Now to get these girls to hold on to it an not allow those who don't understand it to change them back.

Dec 16, 2010
Doug

How old are your girls?

I want my 11-yr-old dd to load her hands as she goes into front heel plant and TNR is a way of doing that. But right now, she's starting her bat more horizontal (like George Brett) because I'm afraid if she starts vertical-ish, she'll dump the barrel too low (as your players seem to be avoiding) instead of dropping it into the swing plane.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Doug

How old are your girls?

I want my 11-yr-old dd to load her hands as she goes into front heel plant and TNR is a way of doing that. But right now, she's starting her bat more horizontal (like George Brett) because I'm afraid if she starts vertical-ish, she'll dump the barrel too low (as your players seem to be avoiding) instead of dropping it into the swing plane.

15-16

It's quite interesting to me how, when you first think they will "dump the barrel too low," my players didn't. If anything, it did just the opposite. And, I think it's easier to adjust to the pitch when your barrel and wrists are already activated, but I see it as a better timing mechanism.

Dec 16, 2010
15-16

It's quite interesting to me how, when you first think they will "dump the barrel too low," my players didn't. If anything, it did just the opposite. And, I think it's easier to adjust to the pitch when your barrel and wrists are already activated, but I see it as a better timing mechanism.

Thanks.

TNR definitely interesting to me--I would like to improve dd's shift/load and TNR seems like a relatively uncomplicated way to do it. I don't know if my dd can implement TNR as successfully as your older girls though.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
It's amazingly easy.

To get them started on it, we did this drill. However, it was 1, 2, 3, swing (all the way).

Then we jumped right to front-toss about 20 feet out.

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Take note that the hands move forward as the hands are turning the handle. The hands stay at the back shoulder as the hands are turning the barrel. Hands getting out in front of the body is a sequence issue.

Another important key is the body supporting this action. It doesn't work if the hips aren't leading(pulling the torso).

A better name may be TNT because it more of a Tip And Turn(the barrel).

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Most have seen this clip. I really like the hands/wrist action here. Although it doesn't much show the "tip-it" part, it does help show why the TNT doesn't/shouldn't lead to barrel dump under ball.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Doug

How old are your girls?

Doing the walk-up-drill (Happy Gilmore Drill) during your warm-ups can really help this also. We usually do it with a really high tee to force a tight barrel turn.

Have her tip while doing the "Move out/stride."

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Most have seen this clip. I really like the hands/wrist action here. Although it doesn't much show the "tip-it" part, it does help show why the TNT doesn't/shouldn't lead to barrel dump under ball.

I'm curious what you are calling "tip". Do you consider the barrel "tipped" in this video here? If so, at what point?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee