Tilt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Thanks. I'll carefully read this tonight. If we are not on the same page on something I'm curious to explore it.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
That makes sense on the lead elbow, but when Im teaching the load I try 2 get them to seperate (slightly raise the rear elbow/shoulder) as they are stiring counter clockwise w/hands, they stir right into this and there front shoulder seems to slightly lower as a result. Is this good instruction? also what is meant by colapsing the backside? and is this a good thing?
Thanks Eric

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
That makes sense on the lead elbow, but when Im teaching the load I try 2 get them to seperate (slightly raise the rear elbow/shoulder) as they are stiring counter clockwise w/hands, they stir right into this and there front shoulder seems to slightly lower as a result. Is this good instruction? also what is meant by colapsing the backside? and is this a good thing?
Thanks Eric

Eric we do teach the back elbow to be up however we say away as the elbow will lower so it can not be down or we could not lower it. We avoid having the back elbow level with the back shoulder as sometimes with the younger hitters they will swing the back elbow so hard that it no longer stays connected and they start popping up. I like keeping the front shoulder level to down as a general rule of good hitting techniques.

Thanks Howard

May 12, 2008
when they start the lead elbow I see the start of the elbow travel to about 2 to 4 inches being more linear than rotational.

Thanks Howard

When in relation to shoulder rotation? Is this the result of torso and shoulder rotation, scapular movement or elbow flexion or...? I'm still trying to understand your meaning.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
When in relation to shoulder rotation? Is this the result of torso and shoulder rotation, scapular movement or elbow flexion or...? I'm still trying to understand your meaning.

I copied these from the internet so anyone would understand what we are talking about.

The shoulder or pectoral girdle consists of articulations between the clavicle, scapula and the proximal end of the humerus. The sterno clavicular articulation is the only bony link between the upper limb and the axial skeleton. Movements at this joint are largely passive in that they occur as a result of active movements of the scapula. Through the acromio clavicular articulation, the clavicle can act as a strut maintaining the upper limb away from the thorax permitting a greater range of upper limb motion. This joint also helps provide static stability to the upper limb reducing the need to use muscle energy to keep the upper limb in its proper alignment. The glen humeral articulation (shoulder joint) has the greatest range of motion of any joint in the body. The mobility of the shoulder joint is necessary for placement of the hand to maximize manipulation. The scapula is suspended on the thoracic wall by muscle forming a "functional joint" called the scapulothoracic joint. These muscles act to stabilize and/ or to actively move the scapula. Active movements of the scapula help increase the range of motion of the shoulder joint.

The Shoulder Girdle
The anatomy of the shoulder girdle consists of several bony joints, or “articulations”, which connect the upper limbs to the rest of the skeleton and provide a large range of movement. You may also see this referred to as the “pectoral girdle” in some textbooks.
The three bones which form the shoulder girdle are the clavicle, the scapula and the humerus. The most important aspect of the shoulder is the large range of movement that it permits, which is central to many activities of daily living.

Upward/ external rotation inferior angle moves laterally.
Term Definition Scapulothoracic Joint not a true joint scapulothoracic joint refers to movement of the scapula relative to the rib cage motions of the scapula allow increased ROM at the shoulder by reorienting the glenoid fossa scapular motions are allowed to occur due to the sterno clavicular and acromio clavicular joints stabilization of the scapula maintained by muscles and ligaments of the SC and AC joints elevation shrugging shoulder depression downward movement of entire scapula protraction movement away from the spine (come forward a little) retraction movement towards the spine upward/external rotation inferior angle moves laterally downward/internal rotation inferior angle moves medially tipping inferior angle moves posteriorly.

Mark stand in front of a mirror belly button facing the mirror. Let you left arm hang down by your side, now lift your forearm and hand (remember it is attached ha! ha!) and move it backwards a little and then move it forward a little. The movement rearward slightly is separation and the movement forward of about 2 to 4 inches is what I term a good first move. The elbow is suspended and the forearm and hand moved or articulated at the elbow WHILE the elbow remained naturally without being moved up or down which would mean you would have to move the elbow away from your body in order to raise the elbow.We want the elbow to be more down than up as we feel it provides a better mechanical advantage when started in this position. The movement rearward or forward would occur from the upper arm articulating from the shoulder joint NOT the turning or rotation of the shoulders YET! Once we make the good first move forward as the back elbow is lowering at the same time the shoulders start to move into rotation, the lead shoulder is moving a little more towards the third base dugout, opening, and the lead elbow is moving forward and up ward like it is going up a ramp at a slight angle. I usually see the elbow going straight forward or straight up like a chicken wing. If you take your right hand and place it palm down and then place your lead arm elbow on top of the back of your right hand this is our starting point of the lead arm elbow. Now move the lead arm elbow towards the wrist of the right hand and you will feel tension in the shoulder. Now move the lead elbow towards the finger tips of the right hand or forward and allow your forearm to remain in contact with the top of your right hand and you will notice your elbow moved forward and up at the same time and where your elbow was your hand will now be! You replace where your elbow was and now tour hand is where your elbow was! In that first move of about 2 to 4 inches with the back elbow lowering the shoulder rotation and the hitters instincts are working to adjust the bat angle to the plane of the pitch. We use the clavicle notch, the V shaped area under the chin where the neck starts and term it our third eye so they will start to open the chest area more as they are approaching bat lag to contact.

Thanks Howard

May 12, 2008
Sorry. I just can't follow all that. I'll wait till we are in front of each other one of these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g