Share Some Conversations:

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Ok, this is what I figured in terms of the phrases. I love it.

How long did it take to teach to the players?
Not long. As I have mentioned, my practices were intense. No one stood around. We were always doing something. For example, if we had a pitcher doing their BP work and finishing throwing to hitters, we might have the 3B and SS take their positions. I would yell about being on their toes. The pitcher would work on doubling up the change. Naturally, the hitter would know that. Both 3B and SS can then practice fielding the ball in that situation. If a coach gets their players used to moving rapidly and knowing how the coach thinks then, they can do stuff like this fast. (BTW, flip who runs out on the field if it is a lefty-hitting.) Players need to know that practice matters and that they aren't going to be standing around wasting their time. If I yell out, "I'm growing a beard," that was/is my way of saying get moving faster.

Jan 22, 2011
Thank you for sharing your DD's journey. When my DD hung up her cleats, she told me, "Dad, I'm L. Softball is what I did, not who I am." She is technically still 18u eligible, so I was hoping she'd do a tournament or two for fun this summer with a B+ level team with several friends. However, she is considering staying at college and taking a couple of classes this summer.

She's adjusted to post-softball life much better than her dad has :). Still hope she gets into coaching, but it has to be on her timetable, not mine. She had a pretty good softball IQ when she played.

Aug 5, 2022
Dd has taken a big step up in maturity this year. She said today “I understand that I’m not going to get a hit every at bat but I can control the plan and the approach and work to have a QAB every time and I can make an adjustment if I don’t do that so that the next time can be better. “ She’s played a big leadership role in three sports this year and it’s been good for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk