Coaching middle school fall ball, input please.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Wasn't bragging, just avoiding the 12U no balls ever go to the outfield argument "pumped about the glove break in process on an entirely seperate thread", but you are just pissy about everything on these boards and hijack threads. The reason you feel the need to do what you do shows through to all. Every thread you ever post in, shows what you are all about.

Now back to the thread at hand, appreciate the feedback everyone else.

Jun 8, 2016
Every thread you ever post in, shows what you are all about.
Do tell. It will save me money on therapy.

I just don't like braggarts (and yes, you are right, in THIS thread you did no bragging..) more Barry Sanders, less Deion.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
and I gave you advice..worry about the basics (eg for a lot of kids in MS softball, how to catch..) before you start teaching them how to cut off balls in the gap.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
It's not about winning and you need to stand firm in that it's not about the winning. It's about the teaching and motivating and team work. Any coach who doesn't play all the players, regardless of skill level, in every game, just to appease certain parents and his/her own ego, isn't a real coach.
Teach your players how to throw correctly, where to throw and when to throw. Lots and lots of D drills, aggressive base running, discipline at the plate, every player in the dugout and not out chatting with parents, teach them the why of what you want them to do. Modified games are perfect for OJT so talk to them the whole game when they're on the field. You are not their parent, not their friend, and a coach in name only. You are a teacher, so teach.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
It's not about winning and you need to stand firm in that it's not about the winning. It's about the teaching and motivating and team work. Any coach who doesn't play all the players, regardless of skill level, in every game, just to appease certain parents and his/her own ego, isn't a real coach.
Teach your players how to throw correctly, where to throw and when to throw. Lots and lots of D drills, aggressive base running, discipline at the plate, every player in the dugout and not out chatting with parents, teach them the why of what you want them to do. Modified games are perfect for OJT so talk to them the whole game when they're on the field. You are not their parent, not their friend, and a coach in name only. You are a teacher, so teach.
Thank you! Yes, I made that clear on the first communication with the parents that it's about growth, not wins or losses, as well as the fundamental base I will be working on.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Thank you! Yes, I made that clear on the first communication with the parents that it's about growth, not wins or losses, as well as the fundamental base I will be working on.
I will freely admit I hate to lose. But, in team conversations, the toned down talk was about accepting that a better team beat us but never accepting that we beat ourselves. :)

Jun 8, 2016
After a nice conversation with @sluggers ( I got that sweet line from all the verbal offer tweets I see everyday..), where he made me aware that I have upset some people's feelings in this thread, I have officially banned myself from it. You can now continue talking about whether one should teach pro step or crow hop for kids who more than likely cannot catch a cold..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles