Coaching middle school fall ball, input please.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
"Ignore button locked in."

Any other good advice talking softball, versus troll posting? I appreciate the information given, regarding my original post.

May 17, 2012
It's not about winning and you need to stand firm in that it's not about the winning. It's about the teaching and motivating and team work. Any coach who doesn't play all the players, regardless of skill level, in every game, just to appease certain parents and his/her own ego, isn't a real coach.

They still keep score so winning is still important. Winning shouldn't drive the bus but it damn sure is a factor. The quickest way to lose kids is to be on a team that doesn't win.

You can develop all the players you want but it won't matter if they don't return next season. Pick your spots if you can; win some games.

May 13, 2023
Will have 6th-8th players from rec, to c, to b to a level players across 13 girls...Focusing clearly on teaching ball base backup, fundamentals across the board, hitting basics up to super detailed and driven skillsets for the B and A levels, etc.

Any ideas in general to get the girls to blend with the talent gaps we will work through? It's a delecate balance to go elementary as needed with the basics, while pushing each level to become better regardless of where they are at. Any imput is appreciated, over and out. I want them ALL to grow in areas of their game regardless of talent level and how long they have been playing.
How long is this Middle school season you're working with?

May 13, 2023
Practice starts this week, then through first week or so of October depending on tourney.
Hmmm 🤔 short time frame to help all the players develop. Yet can have accomplishments.

See that you have all level players. I would include the entire group in every facet of what you're going to be practicing on. In other words don't limit details while working through your practice plans communicating to the team. (just because there are some that may not have gotten there yet.)
It is surprising how much people can learn when we know what we're looking for in the end result.
Additionally
Showing Basics to the more improved players can be a great reminder of important foundation in offense and defense.

Some coaches may think separate the better players so they can have their own practice groups like the A group, the B group, the C group.
However imo mixing the groups at stations is good so that players have each other to use as resources!!!

Let everybody know how important communicating is and Encourage all players to share questions if they may have them.

Apr 20, 2017
I volunteered to help with middle school last year. We had a few A class players and several that had never played before. It was tough trying to help the different skill levels engaged and learning. We used the advanced girls to help coach and teach the inexperienced players. While we would still teach the advanced girls and push them to get better they learned a lot by working with the other girls. It’s a tough balance to handle but can be done effectively. As tough as it was there was a very rewarding feeling by the end of the season to watch girls that had never played before actually making plays and getting outs.

Apr 14, 2022
Will have 6th-8th players from rec, to c, to b to a level players across 13 girls...Focusing clearly on teaching ball base backup, fundamentals across the board, hitting basics up to super detailed and driven skillsets for the B and A levels, etc.

Any ideas in general to get the girls to blend with the talent gaps we will work through? It's a delecate balance to go elementary as needed with the basics, while pushing each level to become better regardless of where they are at. Any imput is appreciated, over and out. I want them ALL to grow in areas of their game regardless of talent level and how long they have been playing.
Have fun. DD is in a similar league and it is so much fun.
Keep it simple. No need for anyone to be doing calculus out there.
Run a normal practice. If you have some struggling with what to do provide instruction. Kids needing more are probably getting that instruction from a hitting coach, travel coach, or pitching coach and not looking to get that out of this league anyhow.
Just provide reps and all will learn as you go.
Not for sure what you are dealing with but many times the difference in levels is skill and consistency. Not necessarily knowing what to do.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Be very careful elevating some players to more then just a player. This can backfire in so many ways with the Team and socially.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
They still keep score so winning is still important. Winning shouldn't drive the bus but it damn sure is a factor. The quickest way to lose kids is to be on a team that doesn't win.

You can develop all the players you want but it won't matter if they don't return next season. Pick your spots if you can; win some games.
This is HS ball, not travel. This is also Modified ball where the coach's job is to supply the Varsity coach with the players needed to compete for chamionships. The quickest way to lose players is to sit them on the bench and keep playing your top 9 in order to win.

May 17, 2012
This is HS ball, not travel. This is also Modified ball where the coach's job is to supply the Varsity coach with the players needed to compete for chamionships. The quickest way to lose players is to sit them on the bench and keep playing your top 9 in order to win.

I am sure Middle School softball is different for everyone but I can assure you "supplying the Varsity coach with players needed to compete" isn't even among the top few reasons to play middle school sports.

In my area, the majority of players at the middle school level will not play Varsity in High School.

It's sports, entertainment by definition. Win a few games, it's fun.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles