Coaching middle school fall ball, input please.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Will have 6th-8th players from rec, to c, to b to a level players across 13 girls...Focusing clearly on teaching ball base backup, fundamentals across the board, hitting basics up to super detailed and driven skillsets for the B and A levels, etc.

Any ideas in general to get the girls to blend with the talent gaps we will work through? It's a delecate balance to go elementary as needed with the basics, while pushing each level to become better regardless of where they are at. Any imput is appreciated, over and out. I want them ALL to grow in areas of their game regardless of talent level and how long they have been playing.

May 17, 2012
I would spend the majority of the practice time doing baserunning drills and everything that stems from that (lead-offs, defending the bunt, how to bunt, relays, rules, etc.). This will be your biggest ROI.

It's better to be good at one facet of the game than to see marginal improvements in all areas. Introduce hitting/throwing/fielding drills and assign homework (drills) to each player as needed. Encourage everyone to find a hitting coach and provide contacts.

There simply isn't enough time for anything else and either you have the pitching (to win games) or you don't.

May 29, 2015
SMALL GROUPS ARE KEY. Break them into 3 or 4 groups of 3 or 4 players to work through stations in practice. Trying to teach something to 13 kids at once will lead to problems and diminishing returns.

If you have a couple of "more advanced" players, make them part of your coaching staff. Not literally, but have them lead the small groups and let them teach the things they know and do.

If you have a few high school players who are willing to come help, recruit them also.

PROVIDE REASONING. I see so many coaches teach players mechanics, but no understanding of why they should do those things or how to think independently when the mechanics break down.

Example: Don't just teach how to handle a bunt ... teach what a bunt situation is and what happens. What happens when things go right? What happens when things go wrong? What do I look for? What should I expect from my teammates?

DON'T OVERWHELM. Learn what the realistic expectations are for your group's learning potential. Meet those and, when you can, challenge those. Push them a little. Don't dump a gallon of milk in an 8 oz. glass.

May 29, 2015
I would spend the majority of the practice time doing baserunning drills and everything that stems from that (lead-offs, defending the bunt, how to bunt, relays, rules, etc.). This will be your biggest ROI.

It's better to be good at one facet of the game than to see marginal improvements in all areas. Introduce hitting/throwing/fielding drills and assign homework (drills) to each player as needed. Encourage everyone to find a hitting coach and provide contacts.

There simply isn't enough time for anything else and either you have the pitching (to win games) or you don't.

That was actually where I started when I coached rec. We worked on getting off of first base at every opportunity. I taught them that not only does it get them closer to scoring, but it keeps first base open for the batter (it was rec, any strike out could be a single ... or more).

Then we used that as the cornerstone to build on from there ... OK ladies, we are getting good at running the bases, but how do we stop other teams from doing that to us?

Jun 8, 2016
No Outfield? Outfield needs to be handling their calls, deadzone overrides, angles and back up angles, along with cut throws.
I don't think he meant no actual OF (I was just being facetious) and if you think the first thing you need to be teaching most MS OF are what you mentioned you are kidding yourself. Most MS OF are not:

she locked down every damn ball hit to her in the outfield, and she was BUSY out there PLAYING UP to 14U

:rolleyes: (bolded and capitalized by me for extra emphasis on greatness..)

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
HUH? Outfield is busier at 14U by a long shot.

Yes that is taught, our coaches, taught all of that starting at 8U and 10U with outfielders. Hell, MOST coaches teach those ares for outfielders... It's basic outfield coaching. Why would the basics never be taught?

I do forget, you like to jack up posts for responses with that passive aggressive vibe.:cautious:

Jun 8, 2016
HUH? Outfield is busier at 14U by a long shot.

Yes that is taught, our coaches, taught all of that starting at 8U and 10U with outfielders. Hell, MOST coaches teach those ares for outfielders... It's basic outfield coaching. Why would the basics never be taught?
Did I say it wasn't busier? What I was getting at is most MS OF (as in kids who play in MS..not MS age kids who play TB..) need to learn how to catch the ball first..
I do forget, you like to jack up posts for responses with that passive aggressive vibe.:cautious:
That wasn't passive aggressive..that was being a wiseass. Passive aggressive is making a glove post just so you can brag about your little superstar..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles