Coaching middle school fall ball, input please.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I am sure Middle School softball is different for everyone but I can assure you "supplying the Varsity coach with players needed to compete" isn't even among the top few reasons to play middle school sports.

In my area, the majority of players at the middle school level will not play Varsity in High School.

It's sports, entertainment by definition. Win a few games, it's fun.
It's about building a successful program, eh. But, each to their own. Thanks for the conversation.

May 29, 2015
Practice starts this week, then through first week or so of October depending on tourney.

Hmmm 🤔 short time frame to help all the players develop. Yet can have accomplishments.

You think that is short? In Illinois tryouts start July 24, first game is August 5, and the State Tournament series starts September 6. The State Tournament finals are September 22-23.

Technically teams can keep playing till October 21, but I've never seen anybody play non-post season games after the post-season starts.

Effectively a 5-week season.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Isn't that just it though? "Successful" is in the eye of the beholder.
"Successful" to me on the macro level is winning championships, with players that I have developed at the Mod. level contributing in meaningful ways. At the micro level, giving every Mod. player the skills and understanding needed to reach their potential, whatever that might be, and the opportunities to hone those skills and understandings in game situations would, to me, qualify as a component of a "successful" program. For me, personally, HS state championships start at TBall. :)

May 29, 2015
"Successful" to me on the macro level is winning championships, with players that I have developed at the Mod. level contributing in meaningful ways. At the micro level, giving every Mod. player the skills and understanding needed to reach their potential, whatever that might be, and the opportunities to hone those skills and understandings in game situations would, to me, qualify as a component of a "successful" program. For me, personally, HS state championships start at TBall. :)

Nothing wrong with that at all, so long as you remember the bolded part is the important part there, and have a defined plan (as you seem to).

Not all programs are built to win championships. Success comes in may various forms. The key is to define what success is up front and develop a road map on how to get there with everybody onboard.

If the generic "win games" is your team's only definition of success, you lack vision and understanding.

May 17, 2023
Nothing wrong with that at all, so long as you remember the bolded part is the important part there, and have a defined plan (as you seem to).

Not all programs are built to win championships. Success comes in may various forms. The key is to define what success is up front and develop a road map on how to get there with everybody onboard.

If the generic "win games" is your team's only definition of success, you lack vision and understanding.

My $.02 is the primary function of sports is to work together (and individually) toward a common goal. Hopefully it is a challenging goal that requires improvement to achieve. By going through that process athletes develop skills like time management, mental toughness, discipline, etc that can be useful the rest of your life.

For some teams a successful season may be winning a State Championship, but for others (that weren't as genetically blessed) it may be going .500 or even winning a few games.

My measuring stick as a coach was did we compete consistently and did we improve during the course of a year? If so then we probably achieved what the group was capable of.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Lots of good input. I truly want to be a leader that regardless of talent level in the age window of 11-15, how much can I grow your skill set with me as a player? How much can I pull out of you in said timeframe, and will you do at least two things better in your all around game... in the small time we have to work together. When we are done with the season, do you like the game even more?! THOSE are important things to me, as we need to grow the sport. Give what foundation you can and strengthen the basics. That is what I want to accomplish whether you are Rec, A or in between.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
First practice follow up! Actually WAY better than I imagined it would be. Focused on proper stretching, warm ups, rotations so they are all forced to work with new kids and rotating in warm ups. Fly ball work for everyone, opening up for outfielders and angles. Worked multiple postitions with all infielders, cycled through throws from 3rd and short to verify arms and accuracy to first... worked my way through and placed them where needed. Preached ball, base, backup, everyone has a job to do and to get to your spot. Worked a ton of grounders, fly ball work and communication. Then the crazy part, dead zones and communication so people don't get hurt. I teach infielders to say got it, or mine. Outfielders are alway Ball ball ball...That's my infield que to peel off if they hear the ball ball ball. I kid you not, 5 minutes in it was going pretty damn well. Any mistakes I had the two talk it out. Only real dicipline I did was two burpees if you don't call it out loud enough or at all. I only had three girls all night not be loud enough. Then some situation work, and preaching outfield back ups,etc.

I wanted to get to baserunning, but the first night of defense and coverage worked the whole two hours. Mixing in base running and a little hitting with pitcher work tomorrow night, then back to the defense and maybe some around the world throws, mixed with home runs for base running.

With the age and talent gaps, pleasantly surprised, insanely surprised. Even the girls who need a lot of work were doing the little things right as the night went on, as well as hustling. Appreciate the input all, I'll be blending and adding as we work through the basics early on!

Apr 18, 2023
Will have 6th-8th players from rec, to c, to b to a level players across 13 girls...Focusing clearly on teaching ball base backup, fundamentals across the board, hitting basics up to super detailed and driven skillsets for the B and A levels, etc.

Any ideas in general to get the girls to blend with the talent gaps we will work through? It's a delecate balance to go elementary as needed with the basics, while pushing each level to become better regardless of where they are at. Any imput is appreciated, over and out. I want them ALL to grow in areas of their game regardless of talent level and how long they have been playing.
Trust me on this as long as they are having fun your lessons will get through to them. I've been around the game for decades as an umpire and the best teams are the ones having fun. They might not always win but having fun at that age fosters a love for the game for years to come.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Trust me on this as long as they are having fun your lessons will get through to them. I've been around the game for decades as an umpire and the best teams are the ones having fun. They might not always win but having fun at that age fosters a love for the game for years to come.
100% ♥️

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles