Throwing Work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
My DD has started to throw with her wrist bent back (with the ball on top of her fingers). This, in conjunction with the elbow dropping I'm sure, is making for some very weak throws. Obviously we need to focus on elbow positioning. With the wrist, does anyone have any ideas? I thought I had read before that throwing a Debeers Clincher (16" soft "Chicago-style" ball) would help with the grip and wrist. Would that promote too tight of a grip?

Oct 25, 2009
We're considering using baseballs during the pre-season throwing/conditioning. The theory is that the smaller balls will enhance wrist action. Plus, they should be able to throw the smaller balls farther. Then, when throwing the softball they will still be attempting the same distance. Reminding them of the wrist action with the smaller balls should be easier to get the wrist action message across with the larger ball.

Aug 3, 2013
Very interested in this thread. My little one is 6 and is also doing this. When throwing and ball is behind her palm is facing the sky. Been trying to work on ball facing 3rd base or behind her.

Apr 8, 2010
Softball_2 - she is 13. Just started this motion a month or so ago. I've got her doing mirror work now, focusing on her mechanics.

Phreak - we've used baseballs in the past. Really worked on fielding and feet positioning and light throwing with the baseballs. I used baseballs cuz that's what I had.

May 17, 2012
Very interested in this thread. My little one is 6 and is also doing this. When throwing and ball is behind her palm is facing the sky. Been trying to work on ball facing 3rd base or behind her.

Don't think of throwing as getting to a set position (ball facing 3rd or ball behind her). Depending on the type of throw and distance it's not one size fits all.

You are trying to create resistance to achieve maximum velocity in your throw. If you teach getting the ball to a set position you have stopped creating resistance and now you are just pushing the ball.

Aug 3, 2013

Don't think of throwing as getting to a set position (ball facing 3rd or ball behind her). Depending on the type of throw and distance it's not one size fits all.

You are trying to create resistance to achieve maximum velocity in your throw. If you teach getting the ball to a set position you have stopped creating resistance and now you are just pushing the ball.

I smell what you're cooking. But you can't create resistance or achieve maximum velocity if you dont get your body, arm, ball, wrist in the correct position...... Not to hijack this thread but we've already solved the weak wrist problem.

Aug 3, 2013
Tell me more about the solution for the weak wrist.

Instead of holding the ball facing 2nd base (which is where the wrist would start its cocking and ball would actually be facing more towards the sky). we concentrated more on ball facing down and towards third base when the arms are at there "T" position.

This post at the top is what made me realize what needed to be done.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-fielding/5033-throwing-drill-needed-elbow-parallel-ground-3.html

Now just working on more of a down follow through finishing beside left thigh rather then finishing across.