Helping Young Players Get Away from Bow & Arrow Throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL

Anyone who has been around fastpitch softball, even for a little while, has seen it – what I call the “bow and arrow” or “Katniss” style of throwing. (Although I will admit the Katniss reference used to work a lot better a few years ago.)

The player will bring glove and throwing hand together, then draw the ball and her elbow straight back, like she is pulling back on a bow string, and finally bring the hand forward, essentially pushing the ball out of her hand.

Over a short distance that can work. But if you want to throw hard, or over a long distance, or both, that throwing pattern is not the way to go.

At some point the hand and ball need to continue moving backward past the elbow before it reverses course and comes forward. For some players, that can be a challenge.

So, I came up with the little drill you see here.

Instead of trying to throw the ball forward, the player focuses on trying to throw it backward instead. In order to do that she can’t just draw the ball back like a bowstring. She has to let the hand pass the elbow before flicking the ball away.

It’s all about finding a way to give the player the “feel” of what you want her to do in a way that breaks ingrained patterns. Giving her something different to work on – especially something she’s unlikely to do otherwise – helps overcome those previous patterns.

One thing to be careful of is not to let the player toss it backward like you would do a backhand toss from the ground. That’s not going to set up a repeatable pattern either, and could end up replacing one bad habit with another.

Instead, you want the new pattern to resemble the desired outcome as closely as possible. The backward flip will do it.

If you have a player who is having trouble learning to take the ball back properly give this a try. If you have a team full of them you can even have them try playing catch this way.

Either way, you’ll start them on the road to better throwing patterns.

More...

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
For maximum speed or distance I would agree that the bow and arrow may not be best but I personally believe that about 80% of throws in a game the bow and arrow pull back is the best way to throw, especially for infielders on relatively routing plays. Infielders that use a big down and around throwing style are too slow to throw out a lot of fast runners.

I prefer this style of throwing for most of a players throws during a game. Almost all top level SS in MLB throw from a bow and arrow throwing motion on routine plays.

Outfielders will throw with a bigger down and around throwing motion when making long throws.

Jun 8, 2016
For maximum speed or distance I would agree that the bow and arrow may not be best but I personally believe that about 80% of throws in a game the bow and arrow pull back is the best way to throw, especially for infielders on relatively routing plays. Infielders that use a big down and around throwing style are too slow to throw out a lot of fast runners.

I prefer this style of throwing for most of a players throws during a game. Almost all top level SS in MLB throw from a bow and arrow throwing motion on routine plays.

Outfielders will throw with a bigger down and around throwing motion when making long throws.

For IF pretend you are in water up to your chest and don't let the ball get wet.

May 4, 2020
I would agree with that for most infield throws.
I like the bow & arrow method. I have one DD that just won’t listen and brings her arm back too far and it winds-up behind her head and then she drops her elbow and goes too wide on the way forward.
She will use bow & arrow technique on shorter throws but reverts to her poor mechanics method on longer throws resulting in loss of power & accuracy.

Oct 26, 2019
I think there is a difference between Ken’s description of the bow and arrow and some of the replies by others advocating for it. Ken (correct me if I am wrong) is talking about the hands breaking thumb up and the girl pushing the ball like she was throwing a pie in someone’s face. Everyone who is saying they like the bow and arrow I think are missing that point. In the video @Gambler Bob posted the thumbs are breaking down and the fingers are on too of the ball. That’s just a shortened arm action that we all prefer from our MIF’s and Catchers I would hope. 2 different things.

Jun 8, 2016
I think there is a difference between Ken’s description of the bow and arrow and some of the replies by others advocating for it. Ken (correct me if I am wrong) is talking about the hands breaking thumb up and the girl pushing the ball like she was throwing a pie in someone’s face. Everyone who is saying they like the bow and arrow I think are missing that point. In the video @Gambler Bob posted the thumbs are breaking down and the fingers are on too of the ball. That’s just a shortened arm action that we all prefer from our MIF’s and Catchers I would hope. 2 different things.
Yeah I was just talking about short arm action..didn't even read the OP :oops:

Throwing is such a weird thing with girls for some reason. My 5 YO son throws better than 3/4 of the 12U girls I have seen and I have never taught him anything about throwing.

Oct 26, 2019
Yeah I was just talking about short arm action..didn't even read the OP :oops:

Throwing is such a weird thing with girls for some reason. My 5 YO son throws better than 3/4 of the 12U girls I have seen and I have never taught him anything about throwing.
I am 1000% convinced that it is due to the larger ball size being introduced at a younger age. My daughter and another girl on the team grew up throwing baseballs until about the age of nine and they have the best mechanics on our team by far. I think the larger ball and smaller hand size and softball makes the girls afraid to have fingers on top for fear of it slipping out. This results in a palm under the ball push much like you would throw a shot put. I have had some success fixing our patterns by having the girls throw the baseball

May 16, 2016
Illinois

That is possible.

The video gives me the thought that the OP prefers teaching the girls a very big down and around throwing style. Maybe I am getting the wrong idea out of this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45