Helping Young Players Get Away from Bow & Arrow Throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I think there is a difference between Ken’s description of the bow and arrow and some of the replies by others advocating for it. Ken (correct me if I am wrong) is talking about the hands breaking thumb up and the girl pushing the ball like she was throwing a pie in someone’s face. Everyone who is saying they like the bow and arrow I think are missing that point. In the video @Gambler Bob posted the thumbs are breaking down and the fingers are on too of the ball. That’s just a shortened arm action that we all prefer from our MIF’s and Catchers I would hope. 2 different things.

Yes, that is what I'm talking about. The pull it back and pie in the face push style. Thanks for helping clarify that.

I'm an advocate of pulling back with the scap. But not just pulling the ball back with the hand.

Dec 5, 2017
I am 1000% convinced that it is due to the larger ball size being introduced at a younger age. My daughter and another girl on the team grew up throwing baseballs until about the age of nine and they have the best mechanics on our team by far. I think the larger ball and smaller hand size and softball makes the girls afraid to have fingers on top for fear of it slipping out. This results in a palm under the ball push much like you would throw a shot put. I have had some success fixing our patterns by having the girls throw the baseball
You may be on to something there. Dd played rec ball from age 4-6 using a baseball snd never had an issue at 7 throwing the softball. Other girls that started at 7 struggled, some did for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802