Throwing progression

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I have been looking at Avila's arm for like half an hour now. If you were looking at the ball from above, it looks like it is making a counter clockwise circle.

IML what drills are you guys starting?
I can't tell what the spin is in this video.
I don't know if anyone has noticed this, but when you throw the softball "Reaction ball" it is really easy to see the spin because of the shape. I don't know if it is helpful throwing it, but it sure is easier for my aging eyes to see it than even a black line around a regular ball.

R

RayR

Exactly.....one direction....around the circle....not back and forth....

For infielder and catchers we have them try and keep the ball facing down on the pull back while they get their feet going....just like Avila

I have been looking at Avila's arm for like half an hour now. If you were looking at the ball from above, it looks like it is making a counter clockwise circle.

IML what drills are you guys starting?

Jan 22, 2013
So Cal
An article I wrote on eliminating wrist flicks and "L" position throws. Train movements through the throw...not positions.

Eliminate Wrist Flicks
Softball Throwing Mechanics: Why Your Softball Players Have Elbow Pain…Wrist Flick Edition

Stability Ball Throws
Baseball & Softball Throwing Mechanics: Stability Ball Throws

For more information on throwing progressions email me at austin@abathletics.com to discuss further!

Thanks!

Austin

Austin,
Something that caught my eye was the bat drill that you demonstrated. It reminded me of a tennis player's serve. Maybe the two are connected.....?

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
LPF4, yes, very much so connected. The pattern is very similar. There are some awesome tennis serve clips online that comes very close to this action. There are a few differences that I touch upon in my book (hopefully out in March) but the pattern is there! Similar patterns are also seen in jai-alia and cricket serves.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA