Throwing warm up?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2019
So last week I read on here that the old wrist flicks and L drill are outdated and promoting bad throwing technique. Whoops, guilty.

I want to be giving my team (12u C level) the best instruction I can be giving. I honestly didn’t know that was outdated. I just wrapped up tryouts and have our first team practice on Tuesday, so it’s a perfect time to introduce a new routine.

So - what is recommended these days as a warm up? I usually do a throwing progression followed by a few drills or games to promote active receiving and quick release. If I remove wrist flicks and the L drill should I just go right into a regular catch or should I be replacing those steps with something else?

Thank you!

Apr 30, 2018
Go here and get this book. Yes it is expensive, but it is full of videos. This book is pretty much the bible of throwing. Search high level throwing and Austin Wasserman on this forum and he is pretty much the answer to every throwing question asked.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...

There is tons of great throwing drills and examples on this page for free. I bought the books a few years ago and really like the mechanics involved.

What I do for my girls as far as warms go:
We start close just like with wrist flips and I have them start with the ball in hand behind the head and fingers pointed at their head, throwing foot slightly in front of the other about shoulder width apart, pointing at their target. Focus on torso turn to the throwing side and letting the body throw the arm/hand. Do this easy and in control around 10-15 times each.

Back up 10-15 feet.
Face 90 degrees to the glove side and have them keep their feet stationary and turn to the throwing side and make 10 throws. After 10 or so, have them start throwing regular using the same mechanics as above with the upper body and arm path.

Back up to about 45 feet apart. Continue throwing and increasing distance 10-15 throws at each level until they can no longer reach with out a 1 hop. They need to work each practice on distance as that is what creates strength. But keep a vigilant eye out for bad mechanics.

I try to get about 100 throws each. The early ones are on mechanics, the middle are on accuracy and quickness. The last are distance and strength.

(I also add in the middle a timed 1 min drill of quick throws to work on transition. One player counts and the other counts drops/wild throws. I change the distance up so this can be anywhere from 30 to 45 feet.)

Also look up the water bottle drill that wasserman teaches/demos on this site. Learn the feel of it yourself and then work with the girls on doing it. You could do this as step one of warmups.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
Go here and get this book. Yes it is expensive, but it is full of videos. This book is pretty much the bible of throwing. Search high level throwing and Austin Wasserman on this forum and he is pretty much the answer to every throwing question asked.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

SPEND THE MONEY. You can find much of this for "free" or piece it together. the money spent is well worth imho. One of the best purchases I have made for my softball team and my DD. Proper throwing mechanics are not taught enough/correctly. You'll help your 12C team be that much better....and who knows it could be the difference of transitioning up a level to 12B....

Sep 21, 2017
PA
Agree with everyone. Get your hands on Austin's stuff, and get familiar. If you're a NFCA member, a few weeks ago, Austin did a really good HLT (High Level Throwing) webinar that is up on the resources page. It's basically a 90 minute HLT 101 course he walks you through.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Before I dump the 'L' position I want to see video of players throwing without passing through it. In most of the video that I have been able to find it looks like the players are in the 'L' position for a short time, but the video is not as clear as I would like.

Nov 18, 2015
Before I dump the 'L' position I want to see video of players throwing without passing through it. In most of the video that I have been able to find it looks like the players are in the 'L' position for a short time, but the video is not as clear as I would like.

You don’t have to dump it, it really just becomes a non-teach.

To quote / paraphrase Wasserman: You don’t get “to” a position to throw, you move THROUGH a position to throw.

Almost every player will pass through some variation of an “L” position when throwing the ball. But if you teach that as a distinct position, you’ll end up with 90% of the girls pausing at that “L” position, and they lose any momentum / fluidity they had in their mechanics. The girls look like weather vanes when they throw - they’ll field the ball, then stand up straight, point their glove, bring the ball up behind them, and look like they’re waiting for the wind to change direction before they finish the throw.

The throw should be a single, continuous motion. If you still want to teach some type of L position, I’d do it with the arms flat, to emphasize how they should be positioned when they break their hands apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles