Throwing warm up?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2019
Thanks everyone. The book isn’t in the budget this month but I’ll be looking to get it within the next couple of months. I did download most of his free stuff and bought the $10 Warm Up book, so I think I have enough to get started on a good foot this year.

Oct 4, 2018
My daughter and I warm up this way. We get funny looks. But guess what? She throws better than most anyone on the team.

"We start close just like with wrist flips and I have them start with the ball in hand behind the head and fingers pointed at their head, throwing foot slightly in front of the other about shoulder width apart, pointing at their target. Focus on torso turn to the throwing side and letting the body throw the arm/hand. Do this easy and in control around 10-15 times each. "

Sep 17, 2009
Before I dump the 'L' position I want to see video of players throwing without passing through it. In most of the video that I have been able to find it looks like the players are in the 'L' position for a short time, but the video is not as clear as I would like.
I've had 18U girls getting college scholarships pause at the L position (not taught by us) and having problems throwing from pitchers mound to first consistently. Teaching ANY static position puts that girl at risk of thinking they should STOP vs. pass-through that position.

I'm NOT saying YOU teach that. I'm saying sometimes some girls take static-position instruction too literally. I've moved away from teaching static positions in throwing, hitting and any other athletic, explosive activity.

Just a thought.

Oct 4, 2018
I've had 18U girls getting college scholarships pause at the L position (not taught by us) and having problems throwing from pitchers mound to first consistently. Teaching ANY static position puts that girl at risk of thinking they should STOP vs. pass-through that position.

I'm NOT saying YOU teach that. I'm saying sometimes some girls take static-position instruction too literally. I've moved away from teaching static positions in throwing, hitting and any other athletic, explosive activity.

Just a thought.

Agreed.

Like an expert here has said several times, you don't see MLB pitchers with their arm up in the air doing snaps. And if you did, you'd LOL. Why do we think our girls need to practice any static throwing drills?

Nov 18, 2015
Wanted to share a few more thoughts on the OP (throwing warm ups). Over the past few years, I've changed my way of thinking about how we throw during practice. Reality hasn't caught up to my expectations yet, but my goal now is much more purpose-driven.

Here's a few quotes I've captured from either podcasts or videos that help reinforce that idea:
  • "Every rep is a chance to improve" - Shaun Larkin, ABCA Podcast
  • "Get better on every rep" - Matt Antonelli
  • "We throw to get better. We don't throw to get loose." - Heather Tarr, University of Washington
  • "How many wrist injuries do we get from throwing? Then way are we so focused on warming our wrists up?" - Dan Blewett
  • "Play catch with intent" - Marty Lees (sp?), Washington State University, ABCA Podcast (may also have been paraphrasing Heather Tarr quote)
  • "Take pride in your throws" - ABCA Podcast
    • Side note - when younger, I was always turned off by coaches who used "pride" as one of their mantras - I just saw it as self-centered / arrogant. After hearing it explained on the podcast, it made a lot more sense. For me, it's a much easier concept to get behind when you view it through the lens of ownership / accomplishment (being proud of each on-target throw that YOU'VE made) vs. arrogance (wow, look at my throw, better than anyone else out here...).

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
We don't actually throw from the 'L' position. I demonstrate and then have them assume the 'L' position so that they know what it feels like to get the shoulders turned and the arm back with the elbow at roughly shoulder height. Then we use 'break and throw'. They hold the hands together at mid-chest, 'break' back to the 'L' position and throw. There is no stopping but I tell them they have to 'hit' the 'L' position when they throw. The majority of the girls I see don't get the arm all the way back and don't get the arm/elbow up where it should be.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
My daughter and I warm up this way. We get funny looks. But guess what? She throws better than most anyone on the team.

"We start close just like with wrist flips and I have them start with the ball in hand behind the head and fingers pointed at their head, throwing foot slightly in front of the other about shoulder width apart, pointing at their target. Focus on torso turn to the throwing side and letting the body throw the arm/hand. Do this easy and in control around 10-15 times each. "

"Standing Arm Behinds" - great drill! I, also, have gotten some strange looks when my team is warming up doing these. I just smile. ;)

May 9, 2019
Personally feel most teams do way too much throwing warm up.
My DD and I just use the cannonball to warm up maybe 15-20 throws and then just toss regular balls until she feels loose.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812