Throwing: Do girls ever throw downhill?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Did a mini experiment this week and had softball players throw off our mound. One had ever done it... she played baseball until middle school and she now throws a softball as high as 68. The other girls had never done it. The concept and feel of throwing downhill is made even more difficult with the size of the ball... so I had them throw baseballs and softballs when doing it. The results were great.

So I'm just curious. Do softball players ever throw off a mound? I completely realize softball players will never throw off a mound, but the best arms in baseball always end up on a mound. The weight shift effect can be tremendous.

Also, are baseballs ever thrown? Maybe even something smaller where they can feel the control of the ball? The analogy I gave my business partner is its like a guy trying to throw a mini basketball... it can be very tough to get on top (and that's with a complete understanding of what that feels like.)

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've seen throwing a smaller ball recommended in some clinics I've been to, especially with younger girls. It's one of the reasons (allegedly) that girls tend to drop the elbow when they throw. Little girls learn to throw with an 11" ball that is heavier than a softball, and many just can't support the ball well. So their elbows drop, and they build a pattern. By the time they are strong enough to handle a 12" ball they have already ingrained the way they throw, and then they have to re-learn it - providing they get a coach that bothers to teach them the proper way to throw.

Along those lines, I have a theory. Boys tend to throw small objects like rocks, golf balls, dirt clods or whatever else they can get their hands on. They throw them at each other, they throw them at birds, small animals, cars, whatever happens to be handy. Girls would never think to do any of that. Consequently, boys get a lot more practice throwing at targets, with lightweight objects, than girls do.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Ken , that is exactly what Howard tells kids in his clinics. Same issue with hititng. Boys use tools, such as hammers and axes. They know how to use levers and how they must use the wrists. You have to teach most girls how to throw. There is a post on here about Candrea having to teach girls how to throw when he even gets them. I have read and been to many of Bill Hillhouses clinics on pitching. He has some good ideas on how to work with pitchers.

Oct 18, 2009
Ken , that is exactly what Howard tells kids in his clinics.

Sorry. Off topic and maybe stupid. Who is "Howard"? I hear his name on this forum all the time. Maybe its the same posters... but it feels like someone always mentions Howard. thanks.

Oct 12, 2009
I haven't tried throwing off a mound, but my younger daughter throws like a baseball pitcher and has a good arm for her size and good mechanics.

She's spent a lot of time watching her older brothers pitch and throws just like them. In particular, she loads her hips by taking her free foot around and back toward 2B before whipping it back around and throwing, which helps ensure her weight then transfers forward.

She came up with this all on her own when she was 7.

Now, this takes a bit long when making throws in a game, and will have to be simplified this year, but I like it because it helps her understands weight transfer.

Apr 25, 2010
Sorry. Off topic and maybe stupid. Who is "Howard"? I hear his name on this forum all the time. Maybe its the same posters... but it feels like someone always mentions Howard. thanks.

He is referring to Howard Carrier. He is a hitting coach from southern Ohio. He goes out of his way to help people with teaching their daughters to hit. I can't say enough good things about him.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

'Howard' is Howard Carrier (aka "Hitter" on this forum). He's a well known hitting instructor, perhaps best known now for doing clinics with Crystl Bustos. Howard was a frequent and helpful poster here on DFP until, unfortunately he became tired of the confrontational style of a select few self-proclaimed DFP hitting 'experts'. I liked his approach, it was straightforward and understandable, geared to female FP hitters based on his years of experience working with girls and special needs atheletes. He was always willing to share his knowledge and experience and a number of the stickied Drill videos in the technical hitting sectionis site are drills that Howard or his students posted. Until he starts posting again (or puts out a video - please!), you can use the search function and review his stuff.

Oops - saw others replied, but here's my 2 cents anyway - GM

Jul 28, 2008
Along those lines, I have a theory. Boys tend to throw small objects like rocks, golf balls, dirt clods or whatever else they can get their hands on. They throw them at each other, they throw them at birds, small animals, cars, whatever happens to be handy. Girls would never think to do any of that. Consequently, boys get a lot more practice throwing at targets, with lightweight objects, than girls do.

That and they are made fun of by their friends if they don't throw properly or if they "throw like a girl."

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The stereotypes of boys versus girls have changed. Let's get with it. Geez.
Girls coming up do play more sports; and boys now play more video games than going outside.

Regardless if your characterization is true, IMO its accurate to say that unless taught "to throw like a ballplayer", most girls will "throw like a girl", whereas most boys don't have to be taught to throw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619