Overhand throwing velocity. What is the highest you have ever seen recorded?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Just curious what the highest overhand throwing velocity you have seen for a female softball player throwing a 12" softball.

Had a parent recently tell me that a local girls who is very good has a overhand throwing velocity of 84 mph. I immediately told that parent that I believe that some was lying to them. I don't believe a female can throw 84mph overhand.

I think the highest I have seen recorded at a On Deck Measurement camp is 74 mph. On Deck does metrics for high school age players in general. I have no doubt that a few collegiate players can throw in 76mph range but 84 mph seems impossible to me. Anything over 70 mph overhand I would say is a very good velocity for a female.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It isn't necessarily they are a female, like you mentioned they are throwing a 12" ball.

Would not surprise me that a bunch of players can throw it in the 80s but what do I know.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Per tagupmetrics. I am not signed in on this website just what was displayed on the preview so who knows the scope shown.
1695112206134.png

Jun 8, 2016
A kid I know went to a mid-major camp last month and a kid there was gunned at 72. One of coaches told the father of the kid I know that 72 was almost unheard of. While I think that might be a bit of an exaggeration, I think anybody who throws even upper 70’s would be very rare. That said, women can throw 75 UH (granted not many) so a 10 mph difference between OH and UH isn’t out of the realm of possibility I guess. Especially if more females actually start throwing properly..

Maybe they were mixing up exit velocity with OH throwing velocity (and 84 exit velocity would be ridiculously good too..).

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
This kid has an absolute cannon and it says her OH velocity is 74 🤷🏽‍♂️ I would like to see what 84 looks like on the softball diamond ..would be cool ;)

FtNGubbX0AAd1Jp.jpeg

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Just curious what the highest overhand throwing velocity you have seen for a female softball player throwing a 12" softball.

Had a parent recently tell me that a local girls who is very good has a overhand throwing velocity of 84 mph. I immediately told that parent that I believe that some was lying to them. I don't believe a female can throw 84mph overhand.

I think the highest I have seen recorded at a On Deck Measurement camp is 74 mph. On Deck does metrics for high school age players in general. I have no doubt that a few collegiate players can throw in 76mph range but 84 mph seems impossible to me. Anything over 70 mph overhand I would say is a very good velocity for a female.

Yeah, I’d be pretty shocked by that number. Is she an OF or IF? Was it recorded during a throw on the field or just an overhand throw into a net type deal?

College recruitable HS age baseball players hit mid-upper 80’s minimum from an OF throw to 3B or home. If she is hitting mid-80’s, that’s pretty impressive.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
Fastest I've seen on a pulldown, using Pocket Radar is low 70's. That was from a pretty high level P5 kid getting after it at a camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles