This is a great at bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
This is a pretty lengthy clip. I think it is a super at bat (even though it ends in a deep out). Great battle. Great pitch recognition. Great example of going with the pitch. Worth studying.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKFUEhOOJ3Q?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lKFUEhOOJ3Q?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't recall. What i found interesting among many things was Charlotte's ability to adjust her stride based on pitch location. At 62 - 65mph that is pretty impressive.

Ihowser, when viewed closely we see that Charlotte presets her rear leg (see clip segment below), setting her body up to later coil against a solid rear leg and into her rear hip. She performs “The Move” in a manner that allows her, in LC’s words, … to “surrender full control to the back leg”. IMO, this mechanic, of putting her rear leg in control, assists her with her timing.

4j943s.gif

Oct 12, 2009
Ihowser, when viewed closely we see that Charlotte presets her rear leg (see clip segment below), setting her body up to later coil against a solid rear leg and into her rear hip. She performs “The Move” in a manner that allows her, in LC’s words, … to “surrender full control to the back leg”. IMO, this mechanic, of putting her rear leg in control, assists her with her timing.

4j943s.gif

This a move, not The Move.

Jun 16, 2010

4j943s.gif

The funny thing about this, and most posts here, is SHE wouldnt have a clue about what you just said!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The funny thing about this, and most posts here, is SHE wouldnt have a clue about what you just said!

LOTR ... I agree with you.

First, I assumed that Ihowser is fairly well versed in various presets … and note that I was specifically responding to him.

CB and I recently had a similar conversation.

Understand that in teaching, that a student will often feel the need to perform a translation. Sure, we can identify where the ‘feel’ is and the synchronization of the ‘feel’ … but the student will often need to go through the motions to capture the ‘feel’, and in doing so may have a different description of the ‘feel’. The translation is that of capturing “your feel” and understanding it as “their feel”.

I agree with you … that this person’s translation may be very different. They may not refer to the clip segment as a 'preset' ... and they may not even be aware of the benefit, then again, they may be able to shed even more light on it. Comes down to people sharing information .... including information on feel, and being patient while they perform tests, capture the feel, and describe their feel.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
when viewed closely we see that Charlotte presets her rear leg
That is interesting. Note how easily and smoothly she gets to toe touch in plenty of time and makes a major adjustment in the stride. It diviates as much as a foot. On the curve/curve drop she steps on the chalk. On some pitches working middle/in she tries to "turn and burn' and adjusts 15" or more away from the inside of the box. This is a unique example to going with the pitch. This pitcher was really lucky that the gapper she hit didn't fall because she was all over this pitcher.

May 14, 2008
I never saw that step to the pitch done like that either.Great obsevation!I didn't think that was possible. She is making time efficiently to step to the ball.She must see it really well out of the pitchers hand and the timing on the swing has to be very well coordinated to do such a thing successfully.I s this method something to consider or is restricted to only the most skilled?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00