They should move back college fences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I call BS...

Columbia University can squeeze one in on the north tip of Manhattan Island.... And it is definitely squeezed.
George Washington can squeeze one into DC.
Georgetown, apparently, plays at a rec park in DC.

And no reason the field has to be "on campus". UGAs is miles away from campus, on outskirts of Athens. Georgia States softball complex is outside the perimeter (i285), nowhere near their downtown campus.

View attachment 27444And it i

Agreed.

I told my DD that Vanderbilt is in Nashville, where there are dozens of fields. I don't see why they couldn't play at one. Or build one somewhere off campus. Lots of schools have satellite campuses and shuttles running between them and such.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
If you change the bat regulations then all the old bats will be instantly illegal for use. Rather than mess with the bats I think you could lower the compression in the balls which would take some of the velocity out of the contact. It would be a little safer for the pitchers. It would also extend the life of bats.

May 16, 2016
This abandoned baseball field is less than 2 miles from the Vandy campus. Was this a minor league park? room for a 400' fence here.

1677090649865.png

Feb 3, 2023
I’m glad that University of Kentucky not only has a super nice field but also and adjacent 10,000 sq foot indoor facility along with a separate locker room facility.
d0c6dd84cfcc5dd4e881c6c040266f64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...the more coaches will be forced to take power hitters at the expense of defense, especially when there's not much outfield grass to cover.
Watching some Clearwater games I did notice a couple of outfielders who were not fleet of foot and less than skilled at catching fly balls in the outfield, but when they came up to bat, their home runs went a looooonnnngggg way out!

Nov 18, 2015
Agreed.

I told my DD that Vanderbilt is in Nashville, where there are dozens of fields. I don't see why they couldn't play at one. Or build one somewhere off campus. Lots of schools have satellite campuses and shuttles running between them and such.
To add to the DC-flavor, Marymount University (DIII program which has only existed for 2 years) plays at a municipal field. GWU baseball also uses a municipal field, but have "branding" rights and their own space for a clubhouse.

Schools just need to get creative. (easier said than done - I'm sure there's Title __ considerations regarding equivalent programs, etc.).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand