The South is gonna rise again

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
You don't think that this might be, you know, just maybe, possibly. .. because ESPN has broadcast rights to SEC games but not PAC12?

Pretty sure all of last year was full of hype like "Will the SEC pull it off this year?"

We know how that went.

That said, I'm all for more softball marketing. I just don't particuarly care for the brand of "Whack-a-mole" softball the SEC tends to play (and then fail miserably at come OK).

-W

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Guess I will say what the SEC always says to everyone else in football. Prove it on the field in the big one. Win 5 of the next 10 national championships and we'll talk about the SEC being the best, until then they are still just the also-rans.

Oct 19, 2009
Just my opinion and I have not seen Alabama play this year, but I have tuned them in on the radio a few games. I am just not 100% sure their pitching will hold up against the better teams/hitters. They have at times struggled against some of the average teams, giving up too many runs although their offence has kept them undefeated.

As teams get deeper in the season things will begin to sort themselves out.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
You don't think that this might be, you know, just maybe, possibly. .. because ESPN has broadcast rights to SEC games but not PAC12?

Do you really think it's about TV ratings?

Alabama is the only undefeated team from a major conference in the country. They're ranked #1 in both polls. Rankings are not predictions for the college world series. They are reflections of what's happened this season. They're 25-0. No conspiracy needed.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
D1 fastpitch softball is a lot like basketball. No one really cares who ends up #1 at the end of the regular season because there is a tournament to decide the champion. You can go undefeated in the regular season and if you lose in the first round of the playoffs no one is going to remember you.....that said, I am glad to see a lot of SEC teams in the Top 25 this year!

Apr 1, 2010
I really enjoyed the Alabama-Ole Miss game the other day, and yes, Alabama did win it. However, Ole Miss put 7 runs on the board. I'm thinking that if the opponent had been stronger, Bama would not have ended up on top. (It is true that they didn't have Traina pitching though...)

We'll see how the season goes. I do know that I got plenty sick and tired of the breathless, "Will THIS be the year of the SEC?" blathering last year.

Personally, I'm still rooting for Mizzou, but they're breaking in a whole slew of freshmen. I'm not sure how they'll react to the pressure if and when they get to OKC. I wouldn't mind seeing them be the first team to win for the SEC when they move over in 2013, however. ;-)

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
I don't think it really is about TV ratings as stated earlier....but ESPN having the contract with the SEC of course they are going to play SEC games and hype them. Just as they do SEC football (not that SEC football needs any more hype) the stronger the SEC is/appears in the eyes of the network giving the coverage the more they will pump it up, wether it is needed or not.

There is a TON of regular season left, heck some northern schools haven't even seen their homes yet, lets see how it plays out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild