Fielders choice leads to stolen base. Can someone explain this play to me?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
In the video, it appears she is called out. If the umpires ruled her safe, they screwed up. She obviously turns into foul territory after overrunning the bag. I am not sure what the point and arm action are prior to the call. You have the correct rule citation.

This is one of those "dirty" plays which coaches have tried to use to skate the rules for a long time. Interesting it is popping back up. In order to properly execute it, the runner must run straight down the line, essentially staying on the line, turn 180-degrees and come back on the line. Even then, its a cheap play.

Feb 16, 2024
In the video, it appears she is called out. If the umpires ruled her safe, they screwed up. She obviously turns into foul territory after overrunning the bag. I am not sure what the point and arm action are prior to the call. You have the correct rule citation.

This is one of those "dirty" plays which coaches have tried to use to skate the rules for a long time. Interesting it is popping back up. In order to properly execute it, the runner must run straight down the line, essentially staying on the line, turn 180-degrees and come back on the line. Even then, its a cheap play.
MIB,
If the runner rounds fist inside the foul line, then stops. It is my understanding the the runner can only make one more move either direction or they are out. Either to second or back to first and the can be tagged out at this point. Am I correct?

May 29, 2015
MIB,
If the runner rounds fist inside the foul line, then stops. It is my understanding the the runner can only make one more move either direction or they are out. Either to second or back to first and the can be tagged out at this point. Am I correct?

Keep in mind, we are talking NCAA specifically . . .

This is not the "momentary pause and decide" that normally applies for the LBR.

A movement off of the line towards second base allows the runner to go either direction (though the wording is clunky), however it leaves the runner liable to be tagged out.

Running straight out "protects" the runner while she basically does softball's version of the "snake in the grass" play. She is safe as she moseys her way back towards first base.

Leaving the line towards foul territory calls the whole thing off. The runner must return to first base.

I'm still curious about the OP saying she was allowed to do this even after a conference. In the video, she appears to be called out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619