The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
As I've said for many years, I'd gladly pitch with 1950's rules (as they currently are now) if they go back to 1950's bats and balls.

Bill

Bill. An observation. I see the men catchers not using a chest protector. I know you've never thrown a bad pitch in a game... :rolleyes: But what about a foul tip?? Is there a reason they do not wear one?

Aug 21, 2008
many guys wear them now, the newer models are lighter, slimmer, etc. The old ones would get in the way and impede their throw, or so they would say. And yes many catchers would take a beating on foul tips!!

Bill

i don't think you would have to back that far, this came up on my youtube page this morning.

https://youtu.be/PtKXnVl0epQ

Had the pleasure of playing in that tourney. Took 3rd in the ISC Worlds that year with The Farm from Madison, Wisconsin. To this day i believe we would have won it had Michael Piechnick's left arm not blown up like a watermelon and he couldn't pitch the last two games. Michael was unbelievable that tourney until his arm blew up. He truly was one of the greats of the game.

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
Had the pleasure of playing in that tourney. Took 3rd in the ISC Worlds that year with The Farm from Madison, Wisconsin. To this day i believe we would have won it had Michael Piechnick's left arm not blown up like a watermelon and he couldn't pitch the last two games. Michael was unbelievable that tourney until his arm blew up. He truly was one of the greats of the game.

there were a lot of dominate pitchers at that tournament and the announcers were talking about how to fix that by moving the rubber back. but in a 1-0 game where making every single simple play is critical i don't think there is anything that needs to be fixed.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
. I guess I will watch Barnhill pitch during away games and cheer on the officials to call IP. I will always pull for the opposing team.

Last year I would root for Florida if Gourley was pitching and against them or wouldn't watch at all if it was KB. Too frustrating! At least this year the away games with KB will give me something to watch. She may have great spin and great control, but why do I care when the rules that apply to everyone else don't apply to her.

It's like when you're coaching a team and the umpire will only give one pitcher the fat part of the White of the plate, at belt height, while he gives the other pitcher anything the catcher can catch, and then some. Why bother playing?

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
KB is an amazing talent and I think she would be that if she didn't cheat, but she does. It is similar to the Barry Bonds argument, he was a great hitter before he cheated, so why did he cheat? I know the BB and KB situations are a little different. I argue this with a friend of mine that thinks KB is the best thing since sliced bread and we have a good laugh.

Aug 21, 2008

Rick, I was not there. My first ISC didnt come for a few years. But I remember everyone talking about how cold it was. Now, it's the same for both teams... no question. But you guys only have Peaches, I wonder if the cold effected him some how. I know later in life, Peaches became more conscience of his health and arm conditioning. But back in 87, I doubt he worried too much about that. By the way, fun fact for the crowd... the tournament in the video was the first World Championship for Oregon's Mike White. And he did it with a good team, not a "SUPER team'. Little did people know he blew out his arm at this tourament, still winning it, but was not able to pitch 3 weeks later at the Nationals after having surgery.

Bill

BLB

May 19, 2008
I can't remember the year but Mike Piechnick (Peaches) flew in to a Canadian Nationals on a Friday night, pitched 3 games Saturday and 3 more games on Sunday to win the tourney. In 84' Gene McWilley pitched an 8 inning game, followed by a 22 inning game then a 7 inning game, all on Sunday. He won the first 2 by a score of 1-0 then lost the championship game 1-0. I'm sure there are a number of such endurance performances throughout the years. a friend of mine umpired in a number of Nationals and world championships and said he would choose to pitch M. White in a championship game if he had the choice of any pitcher he had umpired.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619