Interference on pop up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Runner at 1b. Pop up to 2b. Runner takes off, runs past fielder. Runner turns around and runs into fielder on way back to 1b. Fielder bobbles ball, catches it, runner makes it back to 1b, just beating the throw.

Jun 11, 2013
Yes. (Didn't see a question there. ;) )

Interference the moment the runner contacts a fielder fielding the ball. Dead ball, runner out.

The interference prevented a probable "double-play" . . . I have R1 and the batter out.
So in this case since the fielder caught it and thus likely a DP both are out? Would it be the same if fielder dropped on getting hit? Appreciate your knowledge on this.

May 29, 2015
As @marriard said, NOTHING after the interference matters. There is only what was probably going to happen and the interference that prevented it from happening.

One place people (even many umpires) get stuck on is “what happened afterwards.” It does not matter. Interference is an IMMEDIATE dead ball. As an umpire, never wait to see what might happen, hoping you won’t have to make the call.

Last week I had a coach arguing that a catcher made an OK throw, so I shouldn’t be calling his runner out. His batter struck out and immediately stepped right in front of the catcher who was attempting a throw on a stealing runner. It doesn’t matter what the throw looked like, it was interference when the act happened.

Admittedly, we get wishy washy when rule books include language about ignoring the infraction if the play is completed. This is where “those” umpires get hung up. This applies in specific fast paced continuing scenarios (double play ball), not all interference plays. It is not really that we are allowing the play to continue, as it is impossible to stop the play.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As @marriard said, NOTHING after the interference matters. There is only what was probably going to happen and the interference that prevented it from happening.

One place people (even many umpires) get stuck on is “what happened afterwards.” It does not matter. Interference is an IMMEDIATE dead ball.
Thank you. This happened at a game and I was wrong, although I correctly guessed what the ump would do.

So, you make a judgment as to whether there would have been a double play?

I really don't know if she would have been out. The fielder was right in the base path and almost dead center between 1st and 2nd. The runner ran smack into her. 2b caught the ball as soon as they untangled.

Anyway, thanks!

Mar 1, 2013
So, you make a judgment as to whether there would have been a double play?
Not really. If the runner hadn’t interfered you’d likely only have the one out (barring some other base running mistake). The runner that interfered is out for the interference. Since that interference prevented the defense from legally catching a fly ball, you get that out as well by rule. Like the infield fly, it’s a “judged it could be caught with ordinary effort” thing.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Not really. If the runner hadn’t interfered you’d likely only have the one out (barring some other base running mistake). The runner that interfered is out for the interference. Since that interference prevented the defense from legally catching a fly ball, you get that out as well by rule. Like the infield fly, it’s a “judged it could be caught with ordinary effort” thing.
Thanks so much! Even an old, old dog can learn something new.

Jun 11, 2013
What if you felt the fielder had a reasonable chance to catch the ball but certainly not ordinary effort and they are hit but the BR. Can you just call the runner out and not call the batter out?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission