The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
It's not in the coaches best interest ($$$) at the higher levels to stop illegal pitching. That is one of the reasons it still exists.

If enough NCAA coaches (looking at you rules committee) wanted this to stop it would be stopped. It's just not a priority until it hits them in the pocket. This is why Mike White is complaining. It cost him money (bonuses).

Jul 5, 2016
It's not in the coaches best interest ($$$) at the higher levels to stop illegal pitching. That is one of the reasons it still exists.

If enough NCAA coaches (looking at you rules committee) wanted this to stop it would be stopped. It's just not a priority until it hits them in the pocket. This is why Mike White is complaining. It cost him money (bonuses).

If the IP rules are enforced consistently, why should it help or hurt any particular team over the long-term? I know that for a season or two, some teams might be more inconvenienced that others, but then it will be back to a level playing field, so to speak.

Jun 18, 2010

Wrong. You don't know Coach White.

It's not about the money to him, it's about competing to win on a level playing field.

Trust me, he wants to win more than he wants the money.

May 17, 2012
Wrong. You don't know Coach White.

It's not about the money to him, it's about competing to win on a level playing field.

Trust me, he wants to win more than he wants the money.

Then why does he have performance-based incentives in his contract? Because NCAA is a business and his business is making money. Don't take my word for it take his.

White said last Thursday during a groundbreaking event for the new stadium. “The thing with softball now is it’s really starting to break through. There’s a lot of reason for the SEC making the big push with their stadiums and their coaching salaries. My phone is always open. That’s part of the business, and it is a business.”

Jan 22, 2011
Riseball - what are some of the great pitchers from this year who pitch legally - Osorio? O'Toole? I'm just curious because I don't follow the pitchers closely enough to know which ones are generally legal.

Paige Lowary doesn't leap.... and she throws almost 75.

Jun 18, 2010
Then why does he have performance-based incentives in his contract? Because NCAA is a business and his business is making money. Don't take my word for it take his.

All of the top coaches have performance based incentives in their contracts. I'm not suggesting it's not a business. I'm suggesting, in that press conference, Coach White wasn't thinking about money, he was thinking about what it takes to win a championship. If given the choice of a bonus or a championship, White would take the championship, he is that type of competitor. To suggest his comments were made with money as a motive IMHO is not correct.

Edit to add: The context around your Mike White quote, White was being approached for coaching positions by some SEC schools. He was trying to make a point to Oregon and the PAC12 that many of the SEC schools were pouring tons of money into building or upgrading their Softball facilities and paying their coaches and assistant coaches well. The old Howe field at Oregon was historic, but way outdated. When recruiting players schools have a big advantage when they can show off their new training facilities and stadiums.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
If given the choice of a bonus or a championship, White would take the championship, he is that type of competitor.

I am sure he donates his salary to charity and saves children from burning buildings in the off season. How outraged is he? Not enough to give up his salary it would seem.

It's a simple question. Why do the coaches in the NCAA sanction illegal pitching. They are in charge of their rules (see the NCAA rules committee for softball). It's not a conspiracy against Mike White. He gets surveyed on potential rule changes just like all of the other coaches do. If they wanted to change the rules (or enforce the rules) they would do so. But they don't. Why is that? Because it's not in their best interest financially.

May 17, 2012
Ncaa softball rules committee june 6 - 8 , 2016 meeting

Ncaa softball rules committee june 6 - 8 , 2016 meeting

items for future consideration.

The committee discussed rules changes for the 2018 and
2019 seasons. The following items will be surveyed:

1) allowing hand dragging of the field at the end of four complete innings without request from the umpire;
2) allowing data to be retrieved from electronic devices during the game;
3) limiting the number of player-to-player conferences during an inning;
4) changing the penalty for an illegal pitch to a ball on the batter and not allowing baserunners to advance one base;
5) requiring slappers to have their entire foot in the batter’s box at contact;
6) adopting the force play slide rule similar to ncaa baseball and mlb;
7) allowing a batter to take first base on an intentional walk without being pitched to;
8) changing the hit by pitch rule back to requiring the batter to make an attempt to get out of the way, even if the ball is in the batter’s box;
9) changing the obstruction rule to requiring the fielder to have the ball in her possession/in glove to be positioned between the runner and the base;
10) allowing for projected substitutions; and
11) prohibiting baserunners to run into the outfield in an attempt to deceive the defense.

Jul 5, 2016
1) allowing hand dragging of the field at the end of four complete innings without request from the umpire;
2) allowing data to be retrieved from electronic devices during the game;
3) limiting the number of player-to-player conferences during an inning;
4) changing the penalty for an illegal pitch to a ball on the batter and not allowing baserunners to advance one base;
5) requiring slappers to have their entire foot in the batter’s box at contact;
6) adopting the force play slide rule similar to ncaa baseball and mlb;
7) allowing a batter to take first base on an intentional walk without being pitched to;
8) changing the hit by pitch rule back to requiring the batter to make an attempt to get out of the way, even if the ball is in the batter’s box;
9) changing the obstruction rule to requiring the fielder to have the ball in her possession/in glove to be positioned between the runner and the base;
10) allowing for projected substitutions; and
11) prohibiting baserunners to run into the outfield in an attempt to deceive the defense.

The bold-faced rules would improve the game. Right now, with the current HBP rule, you practically have to review every case to see if the part of the batter hit was in or out of the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi