The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
IMO the best way to do this is to gradually enforce these rules from the lower levels and work their way up. Strictly enforce it in travel ball/HS first then move on to college. Hopefully if they do this there would be very little need to
do it at the college level. For a college pitcher to change might be "easy" mechanically but would probably do a job on them mentally. If they all of sudden called it on Barnhill everytime in the Regionals what do think the outcome would be? Would she even be able to pitch? Not necessarily fair to somebody who was made to think it was ok to pitch a certain way for 10+ years to all of a sudden tell them they can't do it anymore. Not sure diluting the game at the highest level first is the best way to grow the game.

Kind of the tail wagging the dog. The top level tends to lead with the bottom following along. If the NCAA were to announce that instant replay will be used starting zt Regionals next season and would include IP's, the correction would be quick and complete.

Feb 7, 2013
IMO the best way to do this is to gradually enforce these rules from the lower levels and work their way up. Strictly enforce it in travel ball/HS first then move on to college.

While in theory this sounds ok, the reality is that most softball at the lower levels is officiated by 1 plate umpire who cannot possibly see all of the leaping, replanting, stride foot not on pitching plate, leaping outside the 24 inch lines, etc. And at the lower levels is where these pitchers learn to pitch and ingrain their mechanics. We either pay more money for each softball game by mandating a "pitching umpire?" who's only job is to check for IPs or we allow the back foot (stride foot) to be behind the pitching plate (similar to the HS rules) and allow leaping and replanting (similar to the men's game). If necessary we move the pitching plate back a few feet and/or pinch the strike zone if these relaxed pitching rules give the pitchers too much of an advantage. I'm a realist when it comes to sports. If the rules are arbitrary, not complied with by a large group of players and zero enforcement, then reevaluate them to see if there is a better solution that is fair to all pitchers.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I would favor them relaxing the leaping rules but fear that would lead to more replanting.

I would start by taking away the extra base awarded to base runners and double down on enforcing the rules as is. I think that the extra base penalty impacts the game to dramatically. Perhaps this would encourage umpires to call illegal pitches as needed without the concern of impacting a game in such a severe way.

Enforce the rules as written and people will stop leapin and replanting. The rule makers thought it was so detrimental to the game that they made the level of punishment tough. Follow the rules folks!

Feb 7, 2013
Enforce the rules as written and people will stop leapin and replanting. The rule makers thought it was so detrimental to the game that they made the level of punishment tough. Follow the rules folks!

What umpire is going to be able to enforce the rule "ok to leap (the level of the ground) if there is a hole in front of the pitching plate". That one umpire at home plate is going to see this from 40 feet away crouched behind the catcher, looking at a 60mph pitch for balls and strikes. You ever try to catch your DD and watch her footwork from home plate? Remember most games at the lower levels use 1 umpire.

May 17, 2012

It's just to easy to say, "enforce the rules!" when clearly that is not working and has not worked. Rules are amended/removed/updated all of the time. At this pace we will be sitting here next year having the same debate.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It's just to easy to say, "enforce the rules!" when clearly that is not working and has not worked. Rules are amended/removed/updated all of the time. At this pace we will be sitting here next year having the same debate.

It is interesting to hear folks say that the rules are not properly enforced and then use the current state of affairs as an example that enforcement of the rules does not work. :)

The truth is that proper enforcement will work quite well. Vigorous and consistent enforcement has always shown to result in less transgression. Even when done so after periods of lax or even non-existent enforcement. It may not be popular, and you personally may not want it. But to claim that it will not or cannot work is not backed up by what happens in the real world.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
But to claim that it will not or cannot work is not backed up by what happens in the real world.

I said it hasn't worked and it isn't working. I didn't say it couldn't work. Don't move the goal post.

I am speaking on all levels of softball. Unless there is some coordinated effort between the NCAA, PGF, ASA, and my local rec league to not enforce legal pitching rules then you have to start asking the question why we are at where we are.

You can keep hoping and wishing for integrity and "enforcing rules" but let me ask how is that currently working out? You can say that we weren't *really* enforcing the rules but now we are going to actually *REALLY* going do it.

Lets come back in 5 years and revisit this thread and see who was right (assuming no rule changes that I and others have suggested). Better yet imagine it was 5 years ago and lets discuss the progress we have made on getting pitchers to pitch legally by the rules as of today.

Yeah....

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I said it hasn't worked and it isn't working. I didn't say it couldn't work. Don't move the goal post.

I am speaking on all levels of softball. Unless there is some coordinated effort between the NCAA, PGF, ASA, and my local rec league to not enforce legal pitching rules then you have to start asking the question why we are at where we are.

You can keep hoping and wishing for integrity and "enforcing rules" but let me ask how is that currently working out? You can say that we weren't *really* enforcing the rules but now we are going to actually *REALLY* going do it.

Lets come back in 5 years and revisit this thread and see who was right (assuming no rule changes that I and others have suggested). Better yet imagine it was 5 years ago and lets discuss the progress we have made on getting pitchers to pitch legally by the rules as of today.

Yeah....

Thanks for making my point. :)

Sep 10, 2013
When was the last time a college-level coach (D1 in fact) openly criticized why some players openly cheating and getting away with it and some don't?
maybe this time what Mike White said openly to the press WILL make a difference.

unless of course, the powers-that-be will have their way and "why ruin a great story?"

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877