Educate Me !?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
Kentucky - Florida SEC Tournament... 5th inning... no outs... Florida runner on 3rd

Ball gets hit to deep left field in foul territory. Kentucky left fielder makes the catch for the first out and throws it home (run scores). Michelle Smith and company proceed to tell the television audience she should not have caught that ball (making the score 4 to 2).

I've been around softball a bit... first time I've heard this.

Jun 11, 2013
Depending on the score there are times you are better off letting it drop foul rather than give up a run. With no outs it's very likely run will score anyway so I could likely catch it unless they were at bottom of lineup and my P was striking a lot of people out. What amazes me more in softball is how many teams play the IF in with a runner on 3rd when they are up by 4 or so runs.

Jun 20, 2015
tag up rules apply to caught foul balls. doesn't have to be way deep either, seen it a couple times with catchers going after balls and runners scoring with home plate being uncovered. Or tagging from 2B with 3b catching ball by dugout and no coverage at 3b.

Feb 7, 2014
tag up rules apply to caught foul balls. doesn't have to be way deep either, seen it a couple times with catchers going after balls and runners scoring with home plate being uncovered. Or tagging from 2B with 3b catching ball by dugout and no coverage at 3b.

Yes, my scenario wasn't so much what the rule is. I probably should have been a bit more eloquent in my description.

My sentiment is that no college (high school, travel, or otherwise) coach would encourage or teach a fielder to not make a play on the ball in this situation.

I think the broadcasters were a bit misleading to those watching.

Jun 8, 2016
actually, i've reviewed and taught this exact scenerio with my 18u travel teams every year for the past 6.
If you are teaching them to drop it in this exact scenario then you are doing it wrong...Last inning, tie game, less than two outs? Sure..not here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles