The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
I can't answer for Rick but I can tell you what I know- her replant is creating more speed, which enhances all of her pitches. I read that last year the few times she was called for IP and had to pitch without the replant, her velocity dropped about 5 mph and she was much more hittable.

KB got called for IP's last year? hmmm... i wonder where those umps are now.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
I can't answer for Rick but I can tell you what I know- her replant is creating more speed, which enhances all of her pitches. I read that last year the few times she was called for IP and had to pitch without the replant, her velocity dropped about 5 mph and she was much more hittable.

Where did you see that she was called for illegal pitches? I would like to tweet that back at Nancy kempf.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Where did you see that she was called for illegal pitches? I would like to tweet that back at Nancy kempf.
sorry- I don't remember exactly when. at the time I thought it was just a passing thing and didn't think we'd be talking about it for long.

I'll see if I can look back and figure out where/when I saw it so you can share it with Cheri Kempf

Aug 30, 2015
And the legacy continues to build. . .

Anybody see the Florida - Oklahoma State semifinal game?

Between 5th and 6th innings they showed--not once, not twice, but three times-- a side-view slow-mo closeup of her drive off the plate. Picture perfect footage showing the replant (although her pivot foot did not actually leave the dirt on this clip).

Mute the video and one would think they were finally highlighting illegality.

But alas, the commentators were gushing about her success because of her strong drive, momentum, etc.

Aug 30, 2015
And the legacy continues to build. . .

Anybody see the Florida - Oklahoma State semifinal game?

Between 5th and 6th innings they showed--not once, not twice, but three times-- a side-view slow-mo closeup of her drive off the plate. Picture perfect footage showing the replant (although her pivot foot did not actually leave the dirt on this clip).

Mute the video and one would think they were finally highlighting illegality.

But alas, the commentators were gushing about her success because of her strong drive, momentum, etc.

Aug 30, 2015
Ok. It was bugging me so I had to go back and find it to be sure. Here is the exact transcript of the commentators as they showed the 3 slo-mo side-shots: one from a distance, the next closer up, and the 3rd shot very up close with just her feet in frame.

If you're a young pitcher out there. . . yup. . . just DVR this. Ok, the slo-mo of what makes Kelly Barnhill so successful. Look at the way she drives off of the mound. Her right foot drives her so far forward, and then when that left foot plants, it stops everything. So her entire power is right there in the middle of her body. So efficient, so strong. That's why we build our cores up in this sport. That's why she's successful.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If MN could get by Bama, it could set up an opportunity for a MN writer to go all in. MN is already on the ripoff radar. Now they would have to go on the road with their "boring" strikeout machine Sara Groenewegen to Florida. Could be great theater. SG is a polar opposite to the FL staff as far as I see. No crazy acrobatics, no leaping, no lane violations, no replanting. Just good old fashioned pitching that seems to work quite well. Time for some MN guys to step up while they have the spotlight. It's not like anyone in the Big 10 should be worried about keeping SEC folks happy at this point.

It's a chance for someone to make a name for themselves.

Two points
1) I think Gourley and Ocasio are legal, so it seems unfair to call out the entire UF staff, but Barnhill is fair game!
2). MN got royaly screwed by the HP umpire in the Bama game and I hope that umpire is not around for Super Regionals.

Jun 18, 2010
Ok. It was bugging me so I had to go back and find it to be sure. Here is the exact transcript of the commentators as they showed the 3 slo-mo side-shots: one from a distance, the next closer up, and the 3rd shot very up close with just her feet in frame.

If you're a young pitcher out there. . . yup. . . just DVR this. Ok, the slo-mo of what makes Kelly Barnhill so successful. Look at the way she drives off of the mound. Her right foot drives her so far forward, and then when that left foot plants, it stops everything. So her entire power is right there in the middle of her body. So efficient, so strong. That's why we build our cores up in this sport. That's why she's successful.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
Two points
1) I think Gourley and Ocasio are legal, so it seems unfair to call out the entire UF staff, but Barnhill is fair game!
2). MN got royaly screwed by the HP umpire in the Bama game and I hope that umpire is not around for Super Regionals.
This might change your mind.
IMG_0481.jpg

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
This might change your mind.
View attachment 11856

My DD has been called a couple of times over the years for loosing contact with the plate and I do not consider her illegal...it is easily corrected and little to no advantage is gained. It is also legal in HS, but most pitchers stick with ASA rules to avoid messing up their mechanics.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole