The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...I would predict that if crowhopping is allowed that within 3 years the women's pitching distance will be moved back to 46 feet.........bingo....now we have the men's game.

I really think it would be better to differentiate the women's game from the men's game.

100% nailed it! I cannot think of a better way to destroy the game as it would create a huge disparity in pitching ability.

Jul 5, 2016
It will be interesting to see if the crow-hopping problems comes to a head this year in Oklahoma. I don't know why the tolerate it. It is easy to police and, pretty clearly, a lot of good pitchers manage to pitch legally.

I agree that allowing crow-hopping will destroy the women's game. You'll have some giants leaping halfway to the plate while other pitchers are getting rocked from 46 feet.

Nov 3, 2012
Hypothetical situation with following poll questions:

So were in the NCAA tournament: Lets say Florida is playing in the Super Regional, Barnhill is pitching. Say she starts the first inning and we get an umpire with some balls, and actually calls 5-6 illegal pitches for crow hopping and Leaping and then another one for lane violation. Of course Tim Walton would be all over the ump saying they haven't called it all year. Barnhill melts down and then gets yanked with the Gator down a couple of runs. Here's my the poll question: What happens next to the plate umpire who called the illegal pitches. I've compiled a list of possible scenarios and outcomes that potentially could happen.

What happens to the ump poll:

a) ESPN producer immediately calls the Head NCAA Umpire and complains, Head NCAA Umpire then immediately calls the Super Regional Site Director and forces the plate umpire to swap positions with the field umpire.

b) The umpire finishes the game behind the plate. Unfortunately, he is blackballed and never umps an NCAA tournament again. But said umpire becomes very popular on DFP, and receives cult status similar to Hal.

c) Florida loses the game, but Tim Walton appeals. Florida then wins the appeal and game is replayed and plate umpire is censured and also demoted to the greater metropolitan area rec league. Barnhill also sets NCAA tournament record for strikeouts and Florida wins softball world series.

d) Umpire gets recognized for courage and is promoted to head umpire and gets calls to 5 Oklahoma City games. Also promoted to NCAA rules committee and writes book on illegal pitching and regularly contributes on DFP, and is more popular than Hal.

e) ESPN softball producer gets a dinner appointment with him, and coerces him to retire and take a $200K salary as an ESPN booth analyst similar to Mike Pereira of Fox NFL to give the umpires analysis on things like illegal pitches.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
hypothetical situation with following poll questions:

So were in the ncaa tournament: Lets say florida is playing in the super regional, barnhill is pitching. Say she starts the first inning and we get an umpire with some balls, and actually calls 5-6 illegal pitches for crow hopping and leaping and then another one for lane violation. Of course tim walton would be all over the ump saying they haven't called it all year. Barnhill melts down and then gets yanked with the gator down a couple of runs. Here's my the poll question: What happens next to the plate umpire who called the illegal pitches. I've compiled a list of possible scenarios and outcomes that potentially could happen.

What happens to the ump poll:

A) espn producer immediately calls the head ncaa umpire and complains, head ncaa umpire then immediately calls the super regional site director and forces the plate umpire to swap positions with the field umpire.

B) the umpire finishes the game behind the plate. Unfortunately, he is blackballed and never umps an ncaa tournament again. But said umpire becomes very popular on dfp, and receives cult status similar to hal.

C) florida loses the game, but tim walton appeals. Florida then wins the appeal and game is replayed and plate umpire is censured and also demoted to the greater metropolitan area rec league. Barnhill also sets ncaa tournament record for strikeouts and florida wins softball world series.

D) umpire gets recognized for courage and is promoted to head umpire and gets calls to 5 oklahoma city games. Also promoted to ncaa rules committee and writes book on illegal pitching and regularly contributes on dfp, and is more popular than hal.

E) espn softball producer gets a dinner appointment with him, and coerces him to retire and take a $200k salary as an espn booth analyst similar to mike pereira of fox nfl to give the umpires analysis on things like illegal pitches.

lmao......

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
We must remember. According to Nancy Kempf. We are all ignorant for thinking Barnhill replants(check her twitter account). And the other announces praise all the illegal ones. It is going to take a special person to stand up against the whole NCAA community. And that is a lot of people and coaches and commissioners and....The list goes on on on. I have contacted Gary Leland, sports illustrated, D1 softballnews and Michelle smith and Amanda Scarborough. With no reply.

Heard about this happening in a men's game before they made crowhopping legal:

The legal pitcher took his starting position from the point in the dirt of the second plant that the crowhopper created the previous half inning.....and pitched to the hitter.....got called by the umpire for an illegal starting position......argument ensued.

Is there a college coach in the tourney willing to send a pitcher out to do this to make a point? Wouldn't it be awesome???????

We must remember. According to Nancy Kempf. We are all ignorant for thinking Barnhill replants(check her twitter account). And the other announces praise all the illegal ones. It is going to take a special person to stand up against the whole NCAA community. And that is a lot of people and coaches and commissioners and....The list goes on on on. I have contacted Gary Leland, sports illustrated, D1 softballnews and Michelle smith and Amanda Scarborough. With no reply.

If MN could get by Bama, it could set up an opportunity for a MN writer to go all in. MN is already on the ripoff radar. Now they would have to go on the road with their "boring" strikeout machine Sara Groenewegen to Florida. Could be great theater. SG is a polar opposite to the FL staff as far as I see. No crazy acrobatics, no leaping, no lane violations, no replanting. Just good old fashioned pitching that seems to work quite well. Time for some MN guys to step up while they have the spotlight. It's not like anyone in the Big 10 should be worried about keeping SEC folks happy at this point.

It's a chance for someone to make a name for themselves.

Feb 7, 2013
The key to the whole debate is not the legality of the leap vs no leap....it is the shortening of the distance created by the second replant of the push foot. It is a huge advantage in many ways for a crowhopper. As we both know, one of the keys to a great riseball is the degree of upward release angle......well, because of the shortened distance, the crowhoppers upward release angle is greater...thus more illusion of rising. It is kind of like taking a 3rd level riseball and now saying it is in the strike zone. So, the shortened distance=less time for gravity to pull the ball down + the increase angle + the fact that someone like Barnhill throws 68-70 mph it is truly the ultimate riseball....but totally unfair to the hitters.

I would predict that if crowhopping is allowed that within 3 years the women's pitching distance will be moved back to 46 feet.........bingo....now we have the men's game.

I really think it would be better to differentiate the women's game from the men's game.
Rick

Rick - thanks for the thoughtful post. I do have a couple of comments and questions.

1) you say that because Barnhill is closer to the batter (because of her crow hop) that the angle of the riseball is greater but I don't understand how Barnhill is so much better than the other D1 pitchers who get to the front of the pitching circle just like her?

2) are you saying that leaping should be allowed but the replant be outlawed?

3) why do you think it's so difficult for many elite pitchers to drag their pivot foot every time if it's a natural and more efficient move to drag the back foot along the ground. Wouldn't we rarely see leaping if it's so easy to comply with leap and drag?

4) is it better to allow unlimited leaping and crow hopping with no penalty for a large number of pitchers (as is the current no IP call by umpires) that's harms legal pitchers who are in compliance or should we change the rules to allow everyone that same opportunity?

5) lastly, many men and women sports have the same rules (e.g. Soccer, basketball, swimming, track and field, tennis, etc) what is so bad about having the same rules in fastptich?

Thanks.

Rick - thanks for the thoughtful post. I do have a couple of comments and questions.

1) you say that because Barnhill is closer to the batter (because of her crow hop) that the angle of the riseball is greater but I don't understand how Barnhill is so much better than the other D1 pitchers who get to the front of the pitching circle just like her?

My theory here is because she's the only one doing it. It's gotta be harder as a batter to hit a pitcher who is totally unlike the rest. It's a different look for all the batters. For her as a pitcher, the batters all look the same.

I'll also say that if she didn't think it was helping her, she wouldn't be doing it. She's doing it for a reason.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA

I can't answer for Rick but I can tell you what I know- her replant is creating more speed, which enhances all of her pitches. I read that last year the few times she was called for IP and had to pitch without the replant, her velocity dropped about 5 mph and she was much more hittable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah