The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Screen%20Shot%202017-03-14%20at%2010.17.23%20AM_zpsnaasjmkm.png

In examining both pitcher's drive leg, IMHO:
Frame 1 shows a loaded drive leg
Frame 2 shows a drive leg that has unloaded (extended).
Frame 3 shows a re-loaded drive leg
Frame 4 shows a drive leg that has unloaded (extended).

This shows how two players 5'-8" and 5'-4" with long torso, short leg builds end up releasing the ball as close or closer to the plate than 6'-3" Monica Abbott. Tell me again how this is arguably illegal and does not provide a competitive advantage?

Jul 17, 2012
What in a perfect world are you trying to accomplish? I am pretty sure no umpires come on this forum to grade their work. I have read these posts for a couple years and nothing has changed out in the umpiring world on this. Riseball, When do I become part of the club and not be clueless? I have an opinion that doesnt 100% match yours and that makes me clueless? If you want to talk about travesties talk about the supercharged bats or the nuclear cored balls.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
What in a perfect world are you trying to accomplish? I am pretty sure no umpires come on this forum to grade their work. I have read these posts for a couple years and nothing has changed out in the umpiring world on this. Riseball, When do I become part of the club and not be clueless? I have an opinion that doesnt 100% match yours and that makes me clueless? If you want to talk about travesties talk about the supercharged bats or the nuclear cored balls.

Its a travesty because the rules are not enforced as written. Yet, some umps will call this pitcher for an illegal pitch in some games. Either change the rules or enforce the rules. Can't have it both ways CWEB.

Sep 10, 2013
Would like to clarify something. I believe how I interpret the rules that they are not legal. The question is why? Personally I think if you cant see daylight under a kids foot it isnt getting called. Someone called it a travesty, ruining the game and taking the purity out of the game. Well thats just funny to me. With recruiting starting at such a young age the game loses its purity way before college. This is big girl ball and peoples lively hood is on the line. And if you arent trying to get some sort of advantage (stealing signs, or tipping locations etc) you lose.

really? is that what you teach your kids? get an advantage go steal signs. hey, if the pitcher tips it off, that's her problem. but to intentionally STEAL signs to get an advantage, how appalling.

bottom line, KB and Silkwood are doing something defined in the rule book as illegal. they replant and repush TO THEIR advantage and they know it.
their coaches know it and use it to their advantage because they know BLUE doesn't have the testicular fortitude (as quoted from a previous reply) AKA BALLS to call the illegal pitch for whatever reason.

rules be dammned. get ahead. cheat because you can get away with it. really?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Well at least I am not standing alone in the clueless line. If you dont think coaches and players are stealing signs then you need to go to a different sport because it is a huge part of the game today. Nobody has answered the question. What are you trying to accomplish or do you just want to complain. If you dont think the higher ups have seen and discussed this issue then you are uninformed..

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Unless you are old school and still wiggling your fingers, flapping your arms and patting your head to give signs, no they are not trying to pick your signs. However, picking the pitcher and looking for a tell is a different matter.

Feb 17, 2014
Picking signs & reading pitcher tells aren't against the rules.

What is riseball trying to accomplish? I think he's here to discuss fastpitch?

May 17, 2012
The larger question is if we should be teaching the replant at this point. The reality is that the rules are specifically against it but it's not being enforced (for the most part).

If replanting is legal for 90% of your games, why would you not teach it?

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
The larger question is if we should be teaching the replant at this point. The reality is that the rules are specifically against it but it's not being enforced (for the most part).

If replanting is legal for 90% of your games, why would you not teach it?

That brings up an interesting point. How are these girls learning to pitch that way? Are these girls being taught this at a young age OR are they being taught this at a College or are they just learning it on their own as they go without coaching? Obviously, no pitching instructor in their right mind would teach wrong mechanics. So somewhere down the road they developed their own style on their own and nobody corrected them IMO. Or nobody called them out for pitching incorrectly.

Florida has a great chance to win the WCWS. It would be terrible if they didn't because of illegal pitching. But, than again, maybe it wouldn't. It would send shock wave across the softball world. Maybe that is what needs to be done. Make a example of a power house team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413