Thanks a lot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I've really appreciated Hitters posts. His information and interaction with others has been very helpful. Anyone who takes personal time and years of experience whether it be Hitter or Boardmember or FFS(and his posting of many clips)or any of the many others and shares their knowledge free of charge on this board has provided a real selfless service for the benefit of the game of fastpitch.

That being said I am truly suprised anyone would leave this forum because of people criticizing their posts. Howard in particular has received 10x positive comments to every negative. If he is busy, if his focus has changed or if he has said all he has to say that is one thing and that is fine. Leaving because of critcism or petty comments makes no sense in light of all of the positive feedback.

If there is a point that needs clarification or further explanation and someone calls you out on it...clarify it.

If you receive an attacking criticism without substancce or that is mean spirited...ignore it.

The readers, those looking for help and those participating and not posturing can tell the difference. I would hope anyone could take some criticism, even unwarrented and keep the bigger picture in mind.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
let me be the first to say that BM really knows his stuff in pitching.

I think this confuses him a little when he tries to take the "if you can throw you can hit" perspective on the swing because the windmill is different enough from overhand throw that kids get the windmill and overhand throw mechanics confused which is one of the factors that makes it hard for girls to master the overhand throw and carry this particular motion over to the swing.

Howard is the best I have seen in describing the if you can throw you can hit approach to the fastpitch swing as evidenced for example in his defense of the Slaught sidearm throw cue, for example.

Bustos spent a lot of time as a pitcher (in baseball).

Howard might know how her windmill mechanics are.

Dec 28, 2008
Howard is a class act guy. I didn't understand with total clarity all of his assertions and we had great conversations as I tried to get him to expound upon his thoughts. He was open to the discussions and challenged me to more accurately explain/describe what I meant by the things I said as well. The idea of a forum, just like a brainstorming session in a corporate environment, is to to have everyone throw their ideas in the ring without fear of persecution.

I'm looking forward to working with both he and Crystl on the Softball Cruise Clinic next February. Where we can sit down in a relaxed environment and exchange ideas while watching the sun set. That is if Marc doesn't wear us out doing core and agility drills. Come and join us ;)

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
Tewks,Hitter and Wellphyt have been a huge source of info my DD and I. I joined this site after RVP pointed out some serious flaws in my DD's swing and after bouncing ideas off them we have developed a great program and she is swinging the bat better than ever. Her swing is connected and quick. If they have left it is a tremendous loss for any parent / kid that wants to get better. Everyone should respect others opinions and try out what they are saying and then make their own conclusions.

No one knows everything.

Crank, I still read on here, but have been busy with in-season stuff and the facility so I haven't been posting. Glad to hear things are coming along! Any updates with video?

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
I agree with all that's been said, but I've got to tell you I'm bummed Tewks left too...

I have a 12U team that I spent a lot of the winter teaching using a lot of Howard's ground-up techniques, from pony-tail taps to hammer wrist hinges to matrix drills and more. His stuff was just invaluable.

I also have a 16-year old DD at home with whom I used a lot of Tewk's concepts and drills to help her get some power back into her swing after a bad dose of linear-centric instruction set her back last year. She's hit five home runs during her high-school season, a big success.

I've been schooled on RVP/Candrea basics, and both Hitter and Tewks provided some new thinking that really added to my coaching arsenal.

I'd love to see the both back and contributing again...it seemed like they appreciated each other too, even though they didn't always agree....

Rich, I'm very glad the drills/videos help. I'll be posting more soon!

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
For someone who just found this site about 3-4 months ago, I found Howard and Tewks to be great sources of information. Sorry to hear they won't post anymore. I wish Howard wrould reconsider as the overwhelming majority on here seemed to be respectful and courteous. Why did Tewks quit posting?

Didn't quit! Just been busy. Facility hassles with the landlord has tied me up, but the walls should be painted this week and I'll really start cranking out videos. (Couldn't stand the drywall tape anymore!)

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I think that was the problem, people going into other people's threads and making petty little comments, and getting into 'mine is bigger' arguments. I thought that the admins had posted that it would stop, but that seems to have not been the case.

It did stop for the most part. But one man's honest critique is another man's personal attack. The purpose of a forum, not to mention THIS forum, is to encourage discussion. Sometimes that discussion will get heated as two passionate people with opposing views, or better yet opposing approaches to their views, try to convince each other to come over to their side.

The admins are here to stop direct personal attacks -- including those of the "Why don't you quit watching video and go get some students" variety. I have deleted several of those over the last few months as they serve no purpose. If I really went full metal crackdown and just deleted every user who let his frustration get the best of him (and it's pretty much all "hims") just once, many of the people y'all like so much would no longer be allowed to post. Including several named in this thread, because the rules have to be applied equally to everyone, not just to the people you don't like or the people who differ from the people you do.

Most of the nastiest comments come not from anything posted here, but from carryovers from other forums. I will say in the last few weeks that the only posts that have been reported to us had to do with someone posting spam, or someone possibly using the forum for their business, which is against the rules. If there are personal attacks that we haven't caught report them. But honestly, as I've gone through the various thread I haven't seen any.

A forum is an open community, where everyone and anyone is welcome to post within the rules. Those who want to post their ideas without suffering comments or disagreement should start a blog or Web site instead. You have total control over the content, and can set it to not accept comments. That's an easy solution.

The best solution, though, is everyone act like adults. Don't rely on the admins to stop the snarky comments. Do it yourself. Start with you, and if everyone does that there's no need for an admin to step in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00