Thanks a lot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2009
I don't think it is so much the bickering that gets to me as much as the undermining and personal attacks that have been done on the hitting side by a select few. It never seemed to fail when Hitter or Straightleg would post something there was a select few who would take the drill or video totally out of context and criticize it without ever trying it or having any real students try it. If you don't believe in something that is shown to you then don't do it, it is that simple. You sure don't have to pick it apart just to make yourself look like an expert. It really only makes you look small. What I really like about Tewks was he would at least try things and re-post his findings, good or bad. Others wont or can't not sure which.
I have tried some of Tewks' drills with great success and have used a lot of Hitters drills and suggestions and have had a lot of fun with his stuff with a tremendous amount of success. Losing both of them really sucks. There is room for constructive remarks and argument but not attacks for personal gain, posture, or ego sake. You could rest assured without exception when Hitter would post who would jump on and hammer it right away. For what??
It is really a shame that this continues to happen. Hopefully both Hitter and Tewks will come back on here at some point and enlighten us with their knowledge.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2009
Wow, been out of the country a few days and miss it all. Did not know Howard was going to quit. Don't imagine he will be back this time. Last time he said he would not be back but several, including myself, contacted him and asked him to reconsider. I did not know Tewkes purposely quit but I had noticed his posts were getting few and far between. Also Noticed Mark H has not posted on here for quite some time. I respect everyones right to have thier own opinion about what works and what does not. I even think that Howard and others agreed what the end result should be. Just don't understand all the "mine is bigger than yours" BS. I also understand that if someone strongly feels that what someone else is teaching can be more detrimental than good, then they immediately want to pipe up and say so. I just wish that those that choose to take that route would then be so kind as to post video of THIER students doing it how they view is the correct way. If they don't wish to post vids of their students, which I fully understand, then post vids of themselves doing it the so called correct way. That is certainly one thing I admired about Tewkes was he would not hesitate to show vids and usually of himself as not to post any vids of kids. If you have something that you feel works then please post video, especially if you are refuteing what someone else teaches. Don't just preach about how it should be done. And if you don't even have any students then please just shut you piehole cause all you are doing is using up bandwith and wasting oxygen! This post is not pointed at any one person................

Sep 3, 2009
If you have something that you feel works then please post video, especially if you are refuteing what someone else teaches. Don't just preach about how it should be done. And if you don't even have any students then please just shut you piehole cause all you are doing is using up bandwith and wasting oxygen! This post is not pointed at any one person................

I think that was the problem, people going into other people's threads and making petty little comments, and getting into 'mine is bigger' arguments. I thought that the admins had posted that it would stop, but that seems to have not been the case.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
The point that video is a great tool is well taken, in fact it was well taken before you posted it umpteen dozen times......however, ist not the only tool, or final say on the matter. If I have CB standing in front of me saying this is the way I hold the bat, this is the way I swing, these are the drills I use, etc. I just dont need the video.

That however was not the point of my post. Why is it nessecary to continually try to undermine the other guys hitting philosophy?? will that make yours more credible?? If you dissagree with hitters teaching methods, why cant you just politely disagree & move on?

on another note- to Tom G. -I have no doubt that you have a tremendous amount of knowledge, especially in the area of anatomy, but if you cant take that wealth of information & dumb it down enough for the rest of us coaches & ballplayers to understand, you may as well keep it to yourself because its useless.

I want to thank everyone for challenging hitting notions, regardless of the source, that do not match up to video of the best hitters in this game.

The Hanson Principle (… the one to use)
“Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world”.
-- Mark Hanson

Oct 19, 2009
I am sadden to see it come to this, I utilized Howard's technique on my DD and other young ladies and seen steady improvement in their swing. My daughter has shown so much improvement I feel she owes It to what she and I learned on this forum from a number of people mostly Howard. By using what we learned from Howard she has taken her hitting to the next level.

Straightleg the videos from Howard, yourself and your daughter were very valuable and I appreciate
the effort and time put into them for us on the forum, to read it is one think to see it is another. I don't know how I can ever repay you guys for what I was able to learn by watching them. Straightleg your DD is very impressive with her swing.

The ability Howard has to think out of the box to teach hitting is very rare and under appreciated. There are a number of us that if we could, SEE IT, FEEL IT AND WISHED WE COULD FIX IT!!!!!!!

Feb 8, 2009
I for one, hope Howard will continue to post on this board. There are alot of different ideas out there regarding hitting. I'm not qualified to say who is right (if anyone is). He strikes me as someone with a good mind and the ability to teach. Many possess knowledge, but few can convey it effectively.

Jul 14, 2008
Lets just say I'm really glad Tom and FFS don't "profess" to know anything about pitching.......That forum has been great to participate in, and there are several "experts" on the subject who see things a little different, but have enough respect for one another to make it a great place to post and learn........

PLEASE you two........STAY AWAY.......

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We have a lot of members on several sites no longer posting as they once did. MarkH, Ssarge, are a couple that come to mind quickly.

First, the following is not intended to be a "cheap shot" at any member.

Howard has a wealth of knowledge. He's actually produced and helped refine players at the highest level of play. He's actually coached internationally and has had success. What it often comes down to is the theory versus those that actually produce AT A HIGH LEVEL. Another aspect of the conflict is that there is a need to make assertions that you (general) know more than the next on a message board. I find it ironic that the internet fills the needs of many to be "experts." Yet, you never see their products. (I will state here that I do not pretend to be an "expert" but have posted limited video of my child so that others can see some of what we do.) I've taken a stand and had numerous arguments with the concept of "teaching the MLB Swing" and the claim by anyone professing that they do so. I got a chuckle the other night in reading another website where one of these "experts" stated that when he is talking about the MLB swing, he isn't referring to a "mediocre" MLB Player. So, this person professes to teach only the top stuff. I'd bet the farm that the vast majority have never sent a kid to the minor leagues. Yet they are going to brag about how pretty that swing is. I think it is a shame that Howard has chosen to stop participating on this site.

Howard, should you check in and read this. I sent a pm to you a year ago. I stated that you don't realize the good you do because many people don't publicly say thanks. Yet, they take much of what you have shown and use it. Your ideas have helped numerous young ladies that you will never meet. In the end, you have to determne whether that is enough or not.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Lets just say I'm really glad Tom and FFS don't "profess" to know anything about pitching.......That forum has been great to participate in, and there are several "experts" on the subject who see things a little different, but have enough respect for one another to make it a great place to post and learn........

PLEASE you two........STAY AWAY.......

BM ... I'll mimic Hitters response here ...

You are cracking me up!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad