Taking a step back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
We have a pitcher that starts with both her feet on the plate and then takes a step backwards with her left foot. I know this is illegal in ASA but is it OK in HS still?

Jun 22, 2008
In hs it is legal to start with the stride foot back, or step back prior to the hands coming together.

Jun 24, 2013
I think her hands come together and then she takes a step back but I will watch more closely when she pitches again. She doesn't want to pitch anyways, she is being pushed into it.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
I think her hands come together and then she takes a step back but I will watch more closely when she pitches again. She doesn't want to pitch anyways, she is being pushed into it.

If she is stepping back after hands are together it would be illegal.

Jun 24, 2013
OK, thanks.

I am pretty sure she is but will confirm and mention it to her parents. (After DW they are DD's loudest cheerers, nice people)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Depends on what state HS rules you are playing under but from everything I have seen this is illegal everywhere around here under any organization except Little League stepping back is still allowed.

Jun 22, 2008
Depends on what state HS rules you are playing under but from everything I have seen this is illegal everywhere around here under any organization except Little League stepping back is still allowed.

A few states play under ASA rules, the vast majority play under FED rules. If you are in Florida every reference I can find online is that Florida does in fact play under FED rules which would make the step back legal.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The step back can be simultaneous with the hands coming together. If that's the case, then she's good to go. So, the pitcher may:

- Start with one foot back, one on the plate, then bring the hands together, without taking another backward step.

- Start with both feet on the plate, take a step back, then bring the hands together once the step is completed.

- Start with both feet on the plate, take a step back, bringing the hands together simultaneously with the step.

But she may not:

- Bring the hands together first, then step back.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I know that FED rules allow a step back and I might get flamed for this comment but it is how I feel.

If she has intentions of playing outside of High School softball, teach her to not step back at all.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
A few states play under ASA rules, the vast majority play under FED rules. If you are in Florida every reference I can find online is that Florida does in fact play under FED rules which would make the step back legal.

Florida is Fed, that's where they tested the new 43' rule for 4 years before making it a new national rule. They also tested it on the west coast for 1 year but I can't recall the state.

I know that FED rules allow a step back and I might get flamed for this comment but it is how I feel.

If she has intentions of playing outside of High School softball, teach her to not step back at all.

Every pitcher I know who has gone to play college, stepped back in HS. What I can't tell you is "why". Even mine wanted to and so she did, even against my good opinion. :)

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA