New Softball Umpire Looking For Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2023
New softball umpire fresh out of cadet class. My first game was JV scrimmage. I was the only umpire. First situation: both pitchers would get signal from coach, step on rubber, and immediately put their hands together and start their pitching motion. Because it was a scrimmage I informed both coaches and pitchers of the rule that they must at least simulate taking the signal with hands apart, etc. without calling illegal pitches.They adjusted somewhat although the hands were apart very briefly. Also, my game ended early so I watched the varsity game from behind the plate and those pitchers were doing the same thing. My first real game is tomorrow and I plan to address this with the coaches before the game. What would you do? Second situation: Batter who stood way up in the front of the box rubbed out the front line of the box. I said to her that she should not do that in the future But said nothing to the coaches, etc. I noticed at the varsity game (with two slappers in the line up) that the front of that batters box was completely gone. But I did not arrive at that game until inning 4 so who knows what happened. Is there a call or a warning to be made in this instance?

May 29, 2015
New softball umpire fresh out of cadet class.

Welcome to the ranks! There are several experienced, knowledgeable, and here-to-help umpires on the site! Remember, the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked. Not sure if you were using a figure of speech or if your area actually has classes, but I'd love to know more about these classes!

My first game was JV scrimmage. I was the only umpire.
giphy.gif

Terrible. Just terrible. We have GOT TO STOP doing this to new umpires.

OK, now that we have that out of the way ...

First situation: both pitchers would get signal from coach, step on rubber, and immediately put their hands together and start their pitching motion. Because it was a scrimmage I informed both coaches and pitchers of the rule that they must at least simulate taking the signal with hands apart, etc. without calling illegal pitches.They adjusted somewhat although the hands were apart very briefly. Also, my game ended early so I watched the varsity game from behind the plate and those pitchers were doing the same thing. My first real game is tomorrow and I plan to address this with the coaches before the game. What would you do?

For a first timer, I think your approach was fine, particularly for a JV game.

This is going to be a struggle and it seems to be getting worse across the board. Accept that now, and then continue to fight the good fight. I know many veteran umpires who will not call this. The only way we overcome this is by calling it, not by giving up on it.

At a lower (JV or less) level, I think your approach is just fine. We want to acknowledge this is still a learning level, but we also don't want to let everything slide. They won't stop if we don't call it. (Tangent: I wish they hadn't removed the baserunner award; a "ball" is not much of a penalty. Call it on a play where they got the batter out though, now it will get their attention.)

I will adjust this progression depending on the situation, but here is my usual "lenient" progression for most types of illegal pitches (and I admit I feel it is too lax for many situations):

First offense: Make sure I am seeing it.
Second offense: Call time. Quickly bring the coach, pitcher, and catcher together to explain what she is doing wrong. I like to say, "You can take your sign off of the pitcher's plate, but when you step on to the plate you need to keep your hands apart, look at your catcher, take a breath, and then you can go."
Third offense: Send the catcher out to remind her. While that is happening, let the coach know.
Fourth and beyond: Call it and make awards.

Varsity game and above? I might give them one with an acknowledgement, then I am calling it.

Addressing it at the plate meeting? This is sticky. We don't want plate meetings to be overly long or to sound like "I am out to get you for this thing." What you do have on your side is that this was an NFHS Point of Emphasis last year. Mentioning POEs is not out of the scope of a plate meeting. If you want to, I would make sure you say "It was a POINT OF EMPHASIS with NFHS last year, so we will be calling it."

I would also discuss it with your partner at your pre-game meeting. Let her/him know this is something you are looking for and see what their thoughts are. Since you are new, it gives you a world of opportunity to say things like, "I am trying to work on catching illegal pitches. One I am working on is the simulated signal. If you can, help me keep an eye on that and give me any feedback afterwards."

Second situation: Batter who stood way up in the front of the box rubbed out the front line of the box. I said to her that she should not do that in the future But said nothing to the coaches, etc. I noticed at the varsity game (with two slappers in the line up) that the front of that batters box was completely gone. But I did not arrive at that game until inning 4 so who knows what happened. Is there a call or a warning to be made in this instance?

In NFHS: If a batter comes up an deliberately erases the line, it is a strike awarded and a team warning. If another player for that team does it, they and the head coach are restricted to the dugout.

3-6-17
ART. 17 . . . Team personnel shall not intentionally remove any lines of the batter’s box or on the field of play.
PENALTY: (Art. 17) A strike shall be called on the batter if a member of the offense intentionally removes the line and a ball awarded to the batter if a member of the defense intentionally erases a line. A team warning shall be issued, with the next offense resulting in a strike/ball, the offender and the head coach being restricted to the dugout.

If a line is incorrect, such as they drew baseball boxes for you instead of softball boxes, call attention to it (at the plate meeting preferably) and then wipe the line out yourself. More than once I have had a batter come to the plate and point out a problem with the box. I would tell her, "You are right, and YOU cannot do this. Do you know what is supposed to happen if you do?" Then I would erase the line and tell her. Usually that elicits a laugh and builds some rapport.

As for the lines disappearing over time ... that is just going to happen. Work on getting a natural feel for where the line should be. I'll admit, after all these years that is still something I am not good at.

If you have hitters that are flirting with that non-existent line, you can draw a line yourself. If you do this though, you better make darned sure it is correct (this is why I try not to do that).

Sounds as if you are off to a good start! I'm looking forward to having some new blood to keep the conversation going around here!

Are you only working softball, or are you doing baseball also?

Aug 1, 2019
MN
1st: I think it would be wise to bring it up in the pre-game meeting that you watch for it. Call it in a game, but you're going to have to watch it the entire game because if you miss one, the holier-than-thou crowd will be all over you. I only pick up a few games in the summer rec league; I don't know that I'd hang my vigilance hat on that one unless it was really blatant.

2nd: NFHS 7-2-1...A strike is charged to the batter when:
...i when a member of the offensive team intentionally removes a line.

Think of a batter removing any one of the four box lines, it's to illegally gain an advantage by not being called out on contact when they should.
Even in summer rec if I saw it, I would call it.

Feb 1, 2023
Welcome to the ranks! There are several experienced, knowledgeable, and here-to-help umpires on the site! Remember, the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked. Not sure if you were using a figure of speech or if your area actually has classes, but I'd love to know more about these classes!

giphy.gif

This is going to be a struggle and it seems to be getting worse across the board. Accept that now, and then continue to fight the good fight. I know many veteran umpires who will not call this. The only way we overcome this is by calling it, not by giving up on it.

At a lower (JV or less) level, I think your approach is just fine. We want to acknowledge this is still a learning level, but we also don't want to let everything slide. They won't stop if we don't call it. (Tangent: I wish they hadn't removed the baserunner award; a "ball" is not much of a penalty. Call it on a play where they got the batter out though, now it will get their attention.)

I will adjust this progression depending on the situation, but here is my usual "lenient" progression for most types of illegal pitches (and I admit I feel it is too lax for many situations):

Second offense: Call time. Quickly bring the coach, pitcher, and catcher together to explain what she is doing wrong. I like to say, "You can take your sign off of the pitcher's plate, but when you step on to the plate you need to keep your hands apart, look at your catcher, take a breath, and then you can go."
Third offense: Send the catcher out to remind her. While that is happening, let the coach know.

Varsity game and above? I might give them one with an acknowledgement, then I am calling it.

Addressing it at the plate meeting? This is sticky. We don't want plate meetings to be overly long or to sound like "I am out to get you for this thing." What you do have on your side is that this was an NFHS Point of Emphasis last year. Mentioning POEs is not out of the scope of a plate meeting. If you want to, I would make sure you say "It was a POINT OF EMPHASIS with NFHS last year, so we will be calling it."

I would also discuss it with your partner at your pre-game meeting. Let her/him know this is something you are looking for and see what their thoughts are. Since you are new, it gives you a world of opportunity to say things like, "I am trying to work on catching illegal pitches. One I am working on is the simulated signal. If you can, help me keep an eye on that and give me any feedback afterwards."

In NFHS: If a batter comes up an deliberately erases the line, it is a strike awarded and a team warning. If another player for that team does it, they and the head coach are restricted to the dugout.

3-6-17
ART. 17 . . . Team personnel shall not intentionally remove any lines of the batter’s box or on the field of play.
PENALTY: (Art. 17) A strike shall be called on the batter if a member of the offense intentionally removes the line and a ball awarded to the batter if a member of the defense intentionally erases a line. A team warning shall be issued, with the next offense resulting in a strike/ball, the offender and the head coach being restricted to the dugout.

If a line is incorrect, such as they drew baseball boxes for you instead of softball boxes, call attention to it (at the plate meeting preferably) and then wipe the line out yourself. More than once I have had a batter come to the plate and point out a problem with the box. I would tell her, "You are right, and YOU cannot do this. Do you know what is supposed to happen if you do?" Then I would erase the line and tell her. Usually that elicits a laugh and builds some rapport.

As for the lines disappearing over time ... that is just going to happen. Work on getting a natural feel for where the line should be. I'll admit, after all these years that is still something I am not good at.

If you have hitters that are flirting with that non-existent line, you can draw a line yourself. If you do this though, you better make darned sure it is correct (this is why I try not to do that).

Sounds as if you are off to a good start! I'm looking forward to having some new blood to keep the conversation going around here!

Great reply And good advice. Thank you so much

Feb 1, 2023
1st: I think it would be wise to bring it up in the pre-game meeting that you watch for it. Call it in a game, but you're going to have to watch it the entire game because if you miss one, the holier-than-thou crowd will be all over you. I only pick up a few games in the summer rec league; I don't know that I'd hang my vigilance hat on that one unless it was really blatant.

2nd: NFHS 7-2-1...A strike is charged to the batter when:
...i when a member of the offensive team intentionally removes a line.

Think of a batter removing any one of the four box lines, it's to illegally gain an advantage by not being called out on contact when they should.
Even in summer rec if I saw it, I would call it.
Excellent, thanks Northball

Feb 1, 2023

giphy.gif

3-6-17

Only softball.

Jul 22, 2015
My first real game is tomorrow and I plan to address this with the coaches before the game.
Just keep in mind that the more you bring up at the plate meeting the more likely you make a certain type of impression on the coaches. I'd wait to see it then address it. No need for it to feel adversarial before you even start.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Just keep in mind that the more you bring up at the plate meeting the more likely you make a certain type of impression on the coaches. I'd wait to see it then address it. No need for it to feel adversarial before you even start.

My current plate meeting:
  • Intro myself and partner
  • (HS and travel)Ask for properly equipped and sportsmanship, receive VERBAL yes from both head coaches, NCAA their own thing here because we still do bat inspection.
  • Ask home head coach for any ground rules or field oddities, add in anything ground related we noticed
  • Take home team lineup, review (verbally), hand back to head coach for confirmation it is official
  • Take visitors team lineup, review (verbally), hand back to head coach for confirmation it is official
  • Remind teams to get an and out quickly between innings
  • Ask if either coach has any questions
  • "Have a good game, take the field
I avoid rules discussion or enforcement at the plate. Once you discuss something, you are putting yourself into a box of strictly enforcing it. That can get dicey if it is one of those weird rules (like the unnecessarily complex pitching rules) where the coaches have limited understanding or if you miss it after discussing it.

Jun 1, 2015
^^ I'll add to these two other points when I do my plate meetings.

* Reminder of any run-ahead rules in place, depending on the league/section/ruleset.
* Ask if the two coaches are their team's head coaches, and remind them, "We only speak to head coaches about rule questions. Let the play end, call time and approach the official that made the call, and we will go from there." Just to prevent random players, parents, or ACs/other dugout adults trying to insert themselves into the games. I've done it for 6 years now and never had an issue with it.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Reminder of any run-ahead rules in place, depending on the league/section/ruleset.
How do you address this, specifically? We play HS ball in NY, and according to the Man in Blue, we use USA rules rather than NFHS ones. I even checked our county athletic section's website, and it links to the NYPHSAA site. On the latter, it lists USA rules, not NFHS. Yet, for some reason, the umpires play by NFHS run ahead rules.

Screenshot_20230402_190348_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles