Runner Taking Second?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I'm at a D3 college game. Runner on 1st, no outs. Batter hits a ground ball to 3rd who fields it and throws to 2nd for the force, 2nd baseman's throw to 1st for the DP is very late. 1st base throws the ball to pitcher who is in the circle. The runner, who has gone way down the line is very slowly walking back to 1st base, then she breaks and takes 2nd because no one is watching her. In the back of my mind is a rule that says once a runner starts back to 1st she must touch the base before advancing. Is there such a rule?

Or does the look back rule apply, since she started back to first?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
NCAA rule is different. Have seen this many times, I can’t quote the rule but in NCAA they just walk back to the bag slow. Not LBR until they reach the bag. I have video but don't think I can post it without linking to YouTube.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I'm at a D3 college game. Runner on 1st, no outs. Batter hits a ground ball to 3rd who fields it and throws to 2nd for the force, 2nd baseman's throw to 1st for the DP is very late. 1st base throws the ball to pitcher who is in the circle. The runner, who has gone way down the line is very slowly walking back to 1st base, then she breaks and takes 2nd because no one is watching her. In the back of my mind is a rule that says once a runner starts back to 1st she must touch the base before advancing. Is there such a rule?

Or does the look back rule apply, since she started back to first?
Legal NCAA
Not legal other sanctions.

One of the quirks of NCAA rules.; there is a local ex-college coach (who I used to coach with) who runs this in HS and travel when he has umps who he thinks have a pretty good chance of not knowing the rule. He doesn't call the play when I am out there :)

To be fair to most umpires, is one of those calls you probably have to see happen once and then go look it up so you can get it right in the future.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
So in college the runner doesn't have to continue back to the base but can break for the next base at any time, but in HS and travel she has to return to first once she starts back.

Dec 6, 2019
So in college the runner doesn't have to continue back to the base but can break for the next base at any time, but in HS and travel she has to return to first once she starts back.
No, in HS once the ball is back in the circle the BR has to return to 1st base. Before the ball returns to the circle, the BR is free to take 2nd at any time.

May 29, 2015
I won't claim to fully understand the intricacy of the NCAA rule, but I suspect the crack is in this rule:

12.16.3.5 The batter-runner, after overrunning first base, must immediately return nonstop to first base or, if they do not retouch first base, must make an attempt to advance to second. If after passing the base, the batter-runner is heading back toward first base within the baseline extended, they may make a decision to go to either base. However, stepping beyond the extended baseline in foul territory commits them to first base while stepping beyond the baseline toward the second-base side commits them to second base.

Jul 31, 2019
What would the call be on this scenario?

The batter thinks she is out at 1B, and slowly heads to the dugout, until the coach alerts her to return to the base. The ball was in the circle, is the look back rule in effect? This was in a travel game.

Jul 27, 2021
I won't claim to fully understand the intricacy of the NCAA rule, but I suspect the crack is in this rule:

12.16.3.5 The batter-runner, after overrunning first base, must immediately return nonstop to first base or, if they do not retouch first base, must make an attempt to advance to second. If after passing the base, the batter-runner is heading back toward first base within the baseline extended, they may make a decision to go to either base. However, stepping beyond the extended baseline in foul territory commits them to first base while stepping beyond the baseline toward the second-base side commits them to second base.
Clear as .....mud

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles