New Softball Umpire Looking For Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
Sorry TMIB. USA Softball rule 7.3.A says feet must be totally inside box prior to pitch, or at least in 2017 rules. Internet is very slow in hotel, so can’t check 2023 rules. Will check NFHS when I get home.

7.3.A Prior to the pitch, the batter must have both feet completely within the lines of the batter’s box. The batter may touch the lines, but no part of the foot may be outside the lines prior to the pitch.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Sorry TMIB. USA Softball rule 7.3.A says feet must be totally inside box prior to pitch, or at least in 2017 rules. Internet is very slow in hotel, so can’t check 2023 rules. Will check NFHS when I get home.

7.3.A Prior to the pitch, the batter must have both feet completely within the lines of the batter’s box. The batter may touch the lines, but no part of the foot may be outside the lines prior to the pitch.

This is true, though there is no associated penalty. You need to address it before a pitch. If you don’t, there’s really nothing to do, which is a hole in the rule - I think requirements should generally have enforced penalties.

May 27, 2022
My advice (really a request) as a parent who has to leave work early to get to 5pm games. Please don't start games before the stated starting times unless there is a serious threat of impending weather. A 6pm basketball game never starts early, but a 5pm softball game regularly starts between 4:45pm and 4:50pm.

Also, I have never said to myself "This umpire is following the rules too closely." Don't ever become one who says "I'm not going to call [x rule violation] because I don't think the violation resulted in a player obtaining an advantage." If "obtaining an advantage" is not part of the text of the rule, then don't add that on yourself.

You can tell I've been damaged! Seriously though, good for you for getting out there and thank you for doing it!

to be fair, USSSA says you can start games up to 10 minutes early. BUT, I totally get your point.
Random thoughts:

It isn't illegal for the batter to plant her toes 2" off of home plate. Only NCAA requires the batter to be completely inside the lines to be legal. All other codes require them to completely outside to be considered illegal.

What do (almost) all of those things have in common? They are very difficult to see, especially in a 2-umpire system. The only way to catch them 100% of the time is to a parent of the opposing team.

After you complained ... I am sorry, the customer isn't always right. You have the right to express your dissatisfaction, that doesn't mean you get anything (or that you are right). I shouldn't be judgmental about that though, I should ask, "In what capacity were you complaining?"

Note: I have had that same conversation with a few of our "perennially state-bound" umpires with the same result. Some guys just don't care. I hate to say that, but it is true.

1. Before the pitch, the batter must have all of both feet inside the outer edge of the batters box. To your point, at contact, part of foot can be outside the box. But, It isn't hard for an umpire to look down before the pitch, see that the feet are not in the box and make the batter get in the box to start. To be fair, if the umpire was going to allow it, my daughter did the same thing to be able to better reach outside pitches. IMO, it created an unfair advantage for the batter, but c'est la vie.

2. I get the spectator or coach doesn't get to call the rules. We can only ask; after that it is up to the umpire to call what they will. I may have continued to be frustrated, but I did not continue. I shut up and let them carry on.

May 27, 2022
This is true, though there is no associated penalty. You need to address it before a pitch. If you don’t, there’s really nothing to do, which is a hole in the rule - I think requirements should generally have enforced penalties.

I've thought about it though. In theory, you hold up the pitcher and explain to the batter to move back in the box. If they refuse or ignore you for 10 seconds, you call a strike as they are not ready to receive the pitch in the allotted time.

Jan 22, 2011
I've thought about it though. In theory, you hold up the pitcher and explain to the batter to move back in the box. If they refuse or ignore you for 10 seconds, you call a strike as they are not ready to receive the pitch in the allotted time.
That is how I was told it should be handled. Award a strike every 10 seconds until they are in the box.

May 16, 2012
Missouri
I have rarely seen this called and one reason is because it is so subjective. What exactly constitutes simulating taking the signal? How long of a glance is required to satisfy the requirement? Heck a signal can be taken during a windup. It doesn't take that long to look at a catchers hand. IMO unless the pitcher is intentionally trying to quick pitch, which is what this rule is intended to prevent, I wouldn't call it because no advantage is being gained.
Forget "advantage being gained". That has no bearing in any rule in SB.

Jan 22, 2011
Told a pitcher and her coach in rec last year she needed to simulate taking a signal a hair longer because my gut had me thinking she was quick pitching. When I watched her closely, she wasn’t. Told them some umpires in summer ball would say she was and would call it.

May 29, 2015
to be fair, USSSA says you can start games up to 10 minutes early. BUT, I totally get your point.

1. Before the pitch, the batter must have all of both feet inside the outer edge of the batters box. To your point, at contact, part of foot can be outside the box. But, It isn't hard for an umpire to look down before the pitch, see that the feet are not in the box and make the batter get in the box to start. To be fair, if the umpire was going to allow it, my daughter did the same thing to be able to better reach outside pitches. IMO, it created an unfair advantage for the batter, but c'est la vie.

2. I get the spectator or coach doesn't get to call the rules. We can only ask; after that it is up to the umpire to call what they will. I may have continued to be frustrated, but I did not continue. I shut up and let them carry on.

Been a long week ... you are correct. 😋

May 29, 2015
I had one tonight not simulating the signal. Called a few illegal pitches and she stopped until she started getting flustered in the game. Then I called a few more.

As an umpire, here is a technique to try ...

Watch her foot as she steps into position on the pitcher's plate. Then track your eyes up to her hands. If she is already in motion, call it. If I didn't have time to look from your feet to your hands, you didn't have time to simulate taking a signal on the plate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles