Taking a step back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 24, 2010
Every pitcher I know who has gone to play college, stepped back in HS. What I can't tell you is "why". Even mine wanted to and so she did, even against my good opinion. :)

Gives the pitcher some forward momentum for the push from the pivot foot, i.e., the pitcher can put a little more "oomph" on the ball.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Gives the pitcher some forward momentum for the push from the pivot foot, i.e., the pitcher can put a little more "oomph" on the ball.

Yes I realize that, I was referring to "why" from a point you can't in college. But the girls have very little problem adjusting for TB rules after HS............so I try not to make too big a deal of it.

Mar 2, 2013
Why do they let 6'6" 250 lb men who throw 100 mph get to leap but a 4'8" 70 lb 9 year old can't?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Arizona did not "test" the 43 ft rule in HS play, but we implemented it before it was required. When the NFHS changed the rule, it was to go into effect the season after the change was made. AZ implemented it the year the change was published in the rule book. I can't recall the exact year.

There is a reason HS ball allows the step back for the pitcher....NFHS rules are written with an emphasis on participation at the HS level. Allowing the step back will allow more players to be able to pitch and play. It also allows lower level HS teams (JV, Fr) to develop pitchers as some of those players have never played before.

Here where I am from, quite of few of the TB pitchers will take advantage of the step back in HS play. They are good enough to adjust when HS is done.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Why do they let 6'6" 250 lb men who throw 100 mph get to leap but a 4'8" 70 lb 9 year old can't?

This wasn't an arbitrary decision, randomly arrived at by some mysterious, all-powerful "they".

The men's pitching rules are the way they are because somebody, somewhere introduced a rule change proposal, it was voted on and it was adopted. It's a process that anyone who thinks the girls should be able to leap is welcome to persue. If enough supporters agree with that viewpoint, then it can be voted in, too.

Jan 6, 2014
So is the concensus idea not to coach this brand of mechanics? I had my DD remove her step back at the start of last season and while it was a difficult transition, she can't even remember ever doing it, conversly, a young lady on the other local LL team does step back and her PC doesn't appear to want to change her mechanics. Both will likely wind up anchoring our "All-Star" team who completes in the LL World Series tournment (not that we will get past our district tournament). Just morbid curiousity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes