New Softball Umpire Looking For Advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2015
How do you address this, specifically? We play HS ball in NY, and according to the Man in Blue, we use USA rules rather than NFHS ones. I even checked our county athletic section's website, and it links to the NYPHSAA site. On the latter, it lists USA rules, not NFHS. Yet, for some reason, the umpires play by NFHS run ahead rules.

View attachment 27706

I officiate in NY as well (Section 2) and I'll usually just say something quick like, "We'll be playing 7 innings except if the run-ahead rule occurs, which is a difference of 12 or more after 5 innings or 4 1/2 if the home team is up." Keeps it pretty brief.

Jun 1, 2015
By rule, if they are at the plate meeting, they are the head coach in NFHS. I don't care what the paycheck says.

For HS in NYS, we use USA rules. For summer/winter/TB (at least in my area just north of the Capital Region), we use a mixture of USA/USSSA rules. In my case, it's honestly just become a habit after doing 3 consecutive seasons of TB mixed with 1 of HS. So, I usually just say it out of habit to ensure the folks at the plate ARE the head coaches.

Jul 27, 2021
"Coach, is your team legal and legally equipped?" (Verbal YES required)
Umps are checking bats again??

This past weekend umps were checking bats. USSSA 14U tournament

Thought we were done with that for a variety of reasons. The checks were just silly too. I saw both umps check the teams bats in one game. They walked through the dugout fingering each knob. Probably 30 bats in 90 seconds. There certainly wasn't any inspection or even verification of a stamp.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

Thought we were done with that for a variety of reasons. The checks were just silly too. I saw both umps check the teams bats in one game. They walked through the dugout fingering each knob. Probably 30 bats in 90 seconds. There certainly wasn't any inspection or even verification of a stamp.
Yup, the NCAA did it at the Spring Games in Florida this March. My daughter's DS Ghost was tossed out (I know, shocking) due to a severe connection wobble.

Aug 5, 2022
I officiate in NY as well (Section 2) and I'll usually just say something quick like, "We'll be playing 7 innings except if the run-ahead rule occurs, which is a difference of 12 or more after 5 innings or 4 1/2 if the home team is up." Keeps it pretty brief.

Wow 12! I think 10 is bad enough in Indiana. I’d rather it be 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Wow 12! I think 10 is bad enough in Indiana. I’d rather it be 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is horrible that NYPHSAA decided to veer away from USA softball rules when it comes to the run ahead rules. It's less about the runs than it is the innings. We play some really bad teams in our league, and it's not uncommon to be up 15-0 after two innings on walks and HBP alone. The fact we have to go 5 innings is a joke.

Jun 1, 2015
It is horrible that NYPHSAA decided to veer away from USA softball rules when it comes to the run ahead rules. It's less about the runs than it is the innings. We play some really bad teams in our league, and it's not uncommon to be up 15-0 after two innings on walks and HBP alone. The fact we have to go 5 innings is a joke.

Be thankful NYSPHSAA even requires one at all. I'm in the northern end of Section II and we've always used 12 after 5 (I've been umpiring HS/TB since 2018, but LL since 2006). In Section VII, just north of me, there are two leagues: The CVAC (Champlain Valley Athletic Conference), which uses a 15 after 5 run-rule, and the MVAC (Mountain and Valley Athletic Conference - whose teams are MUCH weaker than anywhere around), who just this year adopted a run rule for the FIRST TIME. Some of those games have legitimately gone into the 30s for runs because of the run rule not having been adopted.

Also, for Section II, we do not have time limits for any games, including modified ones. We are "highly encouraged" to suggest a run-rule for these games and allow the coaches to discuss this at the plate meeting (we can't require, only suggest). I've rarely had a modified game that DIDN'T end up using some kind of run rule because the coaches know how those games can go.

May 29, 2015

no-its-just-dumb-glass-onion.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles