Runner Taking Second?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
What would the call be on this scenario?

The batter thinks she is out at 1B, and slowly heads to the dugout, until the coach alerts her to return to the base. The ball was in the circle, is the look back rule in effect? This was in a travel game.

No, LBR is not in effect.

What happens next depends on the rule set ...

USSSA, she is out. (Abandonment happens when the runner leaves the baseline and is no longer making an effort to continue running the bases.)

USA, she is still in play. (Abandonment does not happen until the player enters the dugout or team area.)

May 29, 2015
Clear as .....mud

For some reason, NCAA seems to think moving into foul territory is an attempt to return to first base. Moving into fair territory is an attempt to go to second base.

Meanwhile ...

Actually returning to first base on the chalk line is a non-commitment and you can still break either way ... meaning you can change our mind and run towards second or ... uh ... change your mind and ... run ... towards first where you were already headed?

Jul 31, 2019
No, LBR is not in effect.

What happens next depends on the rule set ...

USSSA, she is out. (Abandonment happens when the runner leaves the baseline and is no longer making an effort to continue running the bases.)

USA, she is still in play. (Abandonment does not happen until the player enters the dugout or team area.)
PGF?

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta

Just for completeness- I think this is only for runners (USSSA 8-18-Q) not batter- runners (8-17-J) who aren’t out for not attempting to reach 1B unless they enter the bench or dugout area (or all infielders have left the diamond). So on the old unrecognized uncaught third strike they can walk to the dugout door, realize their mistake and take off for 1B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
If I am the HC of the team in the field I ain’t arguing either way (even if my disdain for umpires bordered on psychopathy like a few on here..) If a college team is not able to easily throw that kid out (even if the pitcher wasn’t paying attention) he has bigger issues to deal with. Were the other IF checking Instagram? That’s a 10U play..

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
If I am the HC of the team in the field I ain’t arguing either way (even if my disdain for umpires bordered on psychopathy like a few on here..) If a college team is not able to easily throw that kid out (even if the pitcher wasn’t paying attention) he has bigger issues to deal with. Were the other IF checking Instagram? That’s a 10U play..
Actually I think it's probably illegal in 10U. This is a small D3 college (1,440 students) with a total female enrollment of about 200 out of which they field softball, lacrosse, track and field teams, so don't be too hard on them. The thing about this play that stunned me was that it was so late, the pitcher was actually standing behind the rubber looking at the coach for the pitch call. So the runner must have slow walking back to the base. She might have even stopped short of the base, I certainly wasn't watching her.

Jun 8, 2016
Actually I think it's probably illegal in 10U. This is a small D3 college (1,440 students) with a total female enrollment of about 200 out of which they field softball, lacrosse, track and field, so don't be too hard on them. The thing about this play that stunned me was that it was so late, the pitcher was actually standing behind the rubber looking at the coach for the pitch call. So the runner must have slow walking back to the base. She might have even stopped short of the base, I certainly wasn't watching her.
All it takes is for somebody to yell something and it’s an easy game of catch with the SS. She must have run in front of the 2b…did she not see it?

I have a good idea what school you are talking about based on your location and low % of females 😉

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
All it takes is for somebody to yell something and it’s an easy game of catch with the SS. She must have run in front of the 2b…did she not see it?

I have a good idea what school you are talking about based on your location and low % of females 😉
Tough to recruit players, but a college with great 'bang for the buck'.

May 29, 2015

I started to post NFHS, but then I saw "travel ball" ... my bias is that we don't have PGF around here so I forget about them. Anyway ...

NFHS abandonment happens when the player "enters dead ball territory." So, essentially the dugout or team area, but not necessarily. The only other way I can think of that happening is if there is an opening near first (or third) base and the runner exits the opening (to go around the field instead of cutting through it).

May 29, 2015
Just for completeness- I think this is only for runners (USSSA 8-18-Q) not batter- runners (8-17-J) who aren’t out for not attempting to reach 1B unless they enter the bench or dugout area (or all infielders have left the diamond). So on the old unrecognized uncaught third strike they can walk to the dugout door, realize their mistake and take off for 1B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are correct if the batter-runner never reaches first base. NFHS and USA use that same standard for that situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles