Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree that it looks like she is afraid of getting hit. You can do 1 of two things a) Teach her how to wear a pitch correctly b)let her work through it on her own without you dwelling on it. Even if you do a) she will likely still need to do b)..

Oct 2, 2017
We spoke about it, but did not get too detailed with her thought process. Fear of failure is not really in her blood, the fear of getting hit is. She told me specifically her legs were shaking. I think there was a total mental breakdown, no clarity; I think each at bat was a foggy whirlwind. I haven't done a good job helping her mentally.

She does know that she needs to have forward movement to with the pitchers release, she knows that her foot needs to get down just after. Analytically she is there, she can tell me all the cues and rules, finishing my sentences when we pracice.

When she attempts to start slow, I can see an immediate "NOPE!" Lol. You're absolutely correct, it's a false movement.

Clemenslee, I really appreciate your response and particularly when you said "do not step one foot in the box until you are ready." This weekend, we will have a goal of getting forward at release, and having a readiness before a foot is in the box.

As always, appreciate it!
Hopefully it helps! Good luck! She will get there. We have a girl on our team that is so wound up, that she makes my heart beat faster, makes me feel like i'm going to have a stroke and I'm not even hitting 😅 We are going to work on the mental aspect the next 2-3 weeks. To many just get the sign from coach, and just go straight to the box. They might stand there like a statue for at least 15 sec. LOL. Too much anxiety and pressure at that point LOL.

How much tee vs pitching, whether front toss, machine or Live does she get? ex: 50% tee vs 50% the other

Dec 12, 2020
I agree that it looks like she is afraid of getting hit. You can do 1 of two things a) Teach her how to wear a pitch correctly b)let her work through it on her own without you dwelling on it. Even if you do a) she will likely still need to do b)..
She understands how to wear it, end of day no one wants to. I'm not gonna dwell on it, but I do want to be proactive with her mindset. It's just so strange, she plays soccer and basketball and is known for aggressiveness and contact. A fastball is a different beast I guess..

Dec 12, 2020
How much tee vs pitching, whether front toss, machine or Live does she get? ex: 50% tee vs 50% the other

I'd say 5-10% live pitching, if I'm being generous. Mostly soft toss with wiffles in the basement now after a steady dose of tee work through Jan. One team hitting practice a week that has minor tee with about an even split of soft/machine/live. We don't play year round, so there is a comfort level missing certainly.

My 9year old "pitches" but not regularly (I need to introduce that to DFP sometime soon) I think that will be my go to for the time being. Not much velo, mid to high 30s, but wild enough to be scary lol. Now that I think of it, I really have no excuse for her not seeing live pitches..

Jun 8, 2016
I'd say 5-10% live pitching, if I'm being generous. Mostly soft toss with wiffles in the basement now after a steady dose of tee work through Jan. One team hitting practice a week that has minor tee with about an even split of soft/machine/live. We don't play year round, so there is a comfort level missing certainly.

My 9year old "pitches" but not regularly (I need to introduce that to DFP sometime soon) I think that will be my go to for the time being. Not much velo, mid to high 30s, but wild enough to be scary lol. Now that I think of it, I really have no excuse for her not seeing live pitches..
I hit my 6 YO son with a few pitches a few months back when we were working on getting him ready for coach pitch ( I was throwing to him from 40 ft, vs my normal 15 ft front toss, and I needed some "re-calibration" :LOL: ). After that, for a while, he was fine with wiffles but was bailing with regular baseballs. I tried mentioning it to him to few times but nothing worked until I just stopped talking about it and just told him to swing hard..eventually he forgot about it 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017

Yeah, with that percentage, just IMO, would ditch the tee work or use very sparingly. Moving ball only, whether front toss (Especially with actual softballs), machine or live.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez