Swing Critique? 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2020
I had never really liked this clip, as i just didn't see what i should have. I get what @Bonesaw is saying on this now. I never liked it as it was a swing straight down and i was working with DD to not release hands away from shoulder. Notice in Trouts clip, however, he steps, and pauses for longer than he would in a normal swing, his hands stay up above his shoulder, then after pause he swings.

OPs daughter may get alot out of this, as she is taking hands down before toe touch. I think that is more to the issue vs 'swinging down'. I just think she needs to keep hands high (loaded) until toe touch/heel plant. This would then help the core take over to get the barrel where it needs to be. IMO.
This has been our only focus as of late. To be "back" when she gets to toe touch. We did machine work last evening, and after removing fear, it is only timing. Removing the aforementioned sway is helping a lot as well. She knows how to coordinate the movement on a basic level (getting a stretch while moving out), but it seems to her, being on time feels like she is real early, so she adjusts, is late, and rushes.

I like your explanation of Trout's warmup, we'll keep it in mind for next time, really appreciate your response.

Dec 12, 2020
In my eagerness to post a snarky reply, I ignored that inner voice that said "you don't know the coach, you don't know his relationship with the kids, and you just got in trouble (slightly) yourself for some mis-understood sarcasm (@#$! face coverings....), in short - you don't know the whole story". At some point, I'll learn that lesson. Clearly - tonight wasn't it.

I can only imagine the labels that would be applied to me if some of my past practices were posted here. I'm glad there is more to the story with this coach, and that it sounds like his heart is in the right place.

But...can you let him know that the strike zone is where the ball crosses the plate, not where the "catcher" catches it? ;) - NOTED(y)
No need to explain either, my experience with members of these boards is that everyone's heart is also in the right place for those looking for help, and strangers nonetheless! It came from a good place.
Plus, snark is required for good reading.

Dec 12, 2020
Hey all, a little update. We played our 1st games of the season last Monday.

We laid off hitting most of March and focused on other things, but then had a good tuneup the week leading up to game 1.

So much work in the off-season and....wait for it....

Not one swing in two league games. One k looking and the rest bb's following full counts.

She was anxious and scared, we have quite the mental challenge ahead of us. So weird, she is known for almost an absolute fearlessness in just about everything she does.

I'll trim up an at bat or two, if you'd like to see her approach.

Looking forward to her next opportunity, two games Monday and her 1st tourney next weekend.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020
Finally got around to this; for games I don't use my phone so I need to transfer from my camera.

First video is a few clips from the week leading up to game one. Not much focus other than striding with her back pocket, trying to not just reach with her front foot. This was after about a month long break at home. I'm just fine where she is if she can get aggressive at bat.

The 2nd is her 1st at bat and walk, one of three; the last video a strikeout. I did not chop them so you can get an idea of her vibe.

She was extremely passive, unsure, and too excited to draw a walk lol. I know she had a voice telling herself "yes, yes, yes" but there was definitely another voice drowning it with fear and insecurity. She was attempting to get started slow and early, so we'll take that as a win. It's gonna be some party when she gets the feeling of a solid rope. I believe in her.

OBP is currently .750, we have that going on!

Advice is always appreciated! I know it's the process that's beautiful, but I'm loving the other 10u video progress updates and results, we're gonna join you soon!

Oct 2, 2017
Finally got around to this; for games I don't use my phone so I need to transfer from my camera.

First video is a few clips from the week leading up to game one. Not much focus other than striding with her back pocket, trying to not just reach with her front foot. This was after about a month long break at home. I'm just fine where she is if she can get aggressive at bat.

The 2nd is her 1st at bat and walk, one of three; the last video a strikeout. I did not chop them so you can get an idea of her vibe.

She was extremely passive, unsure, and too excited to draw a walk lol. I know she had a voice telling herself "yes, yes, yes" but there was definitely another voice drowning it with fear and insecurity. She was attempting to get started slow and early, so we'll take that as a win. It's gonna be some party when she gets the feeling of a solid rope. I believe in her.

OBP is currently .750, we have that going on!

Advice is always appreciated! I know it's the process that's beautiful, but I'm loving the other 10u video progress updates and results, we're gonna join you soon!

In both videos she is simply not even getting prepared to swing. By that I mean she is not fully committing to her forward move. You can tell if a player is actually ready to swing because they will get to the launch position every time, whether they swing or not. If they sell that short, then they clearly are not committing and ready to swing. This may be due to mental breakdown: Fear of getting hit. Fear of striking out, Failure etc. These question might be worth while to ask her. What is her though process. If it is those things, then what I tell my DD that seems to help is you have all the time to get ready to get in the box. Do not step one foot in that box until you are ready.

Another piece of advice I would give, is the cue slow and early. While it is true that starting slow and early can help, the reality is that there is nothing slow about it. Kids at this age tend to take things literally. So they hear slow and early and thats exactly what they are going to do. I think it would be worth your while to give a different goal. That is: Get forward to the pitchers release. What ever style of pre-pitch motions and tempo that they use, needs to be either done or getting done by pitcher release. Just my Dad opinion, hope this helps LOL

Dec 12, 2020
In both videos she is simply not even getting prepared to swing. By that I mean she is not fully committing to her forward move. You can tell if a player is actually ready to swing because they will get to the launch position every time, whether they swing or not. If they sell that short, then they clearly are not committing and ready to swing. This may be due to mental breakdown: Fear of getting hit. Fear of striking out, Failure etc. These question might be worth while to ask her. What is her though process. If it is those things, then what I tell my DD that seems to help is you have all the time to get ready to get in the box. Do not step one foot in that box until you are ready.

Another piece of advice I would give, is the cue slow and early. While it is true that starting slow and early can help, the reality is that there is nothing slow about it. Kids at this age tend to take things literally. So they hear slow and early and thats exactly what they are going to do. I think it would be worth your while to give a different goal. That is: Get forward to the pitchers release. What ever style of pre-pitch motions and tempo that they use, needs to be either done or getting done by pitcher release. Just my Dad opinion, hope this helps LOL

We spoke about it, but did not get too detailed with her thought process. Fear of failure is not really in her blood, the fear of getting hit is. She told me specifically her legs were shaking. I think there was a total mental breakdown, no clarity; I think each at bat was a foggy whirlwind. I haven't done a good job helping her mentally.

She does know that she needs to have forward movement to with the pitchers release, she knows that her foot needs to get down just after. Analytically she is there, she can tell me all the cues and rules, finishing my sentences when we pracice.

When she attempts to start slow, I can see an immediate "NOPE!" Lol. You're absolutely correct, it's a false movement.

Clemenslee, I really appreciate your response and particularly when you said "do not step one foot in the box until you are ready." This weekend, we will have a goal of getting forward at release, and having a readiness before a foot is in the box.

As always, appreciate it!

Nov 26, 2020
Agree with Clemens. A simple cue may be to tell her that her front foot must be down when the pitch is on its way or halfway there. In some of the video her front foot is in the air when the ball is past her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles