Strength Training (supplements?)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2009
I have trained mostly male athletes and am just now getting into training females for softball. I have a ton of stuff on adequate training. I beleive that we are doing a very good job of strength, power, speed, agility, etc... training. I think I just have a few athletes that need a little more.

My question is this: (For High School Softball Players in the offseason) Is is wise or beneficial for high school female students to use any kind of supplements during strength training? If so, any recommendations?

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It all depends of each athlete. Supplements are that - they are "supplementing" your nutrition.

First task of a trainer is to educate athletes are proper and basic sports nutrition principles like:

1) Having a snack after each workout
2) Eating "good" carbs (whole grain, fruits, veggies)
3) Eating often and smaller meals
4) Hydration
5) Eating a variety of food
6) Eating good proteins (lean meats, eggs, egg white, cottage cheese, etc.)
7) Making sure female athletes get enough calcium (dairy products) and iron in their diet
etc...

Explain to the athletes that nutrition is a huge part of getting results from training.

Once the basic nutrition education is done, some supplements may be advised. Usually, most young athletes can benefit from:

- A good multi-vitamin
- Protein powder for shake or meal replacements
- Meal replacements bars
- Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) - usually fish oil.

This is the foundation. I don't think kids and young athletes should go for anything else as he teaches the illusion of the "magic pill". Nothing can replace hard work in the gym and proper nutrition.

Forget about creatine and certainly about other "energy-booster" or "fat burner" supplements. Stick with the basics with young softball players. Teach good basic nutrition principles and hard work.

It is my opinion. I do recommend you get your supplements from these guys:

Prograde Nutrition

They have very high standards and only carry the basics for good nutrition (essential fatty acids, multivitamins, meal replacement options, etc.). They use all natural ingredients and real vitamins (not synthetic). Check them out - they are not your typical low quality or generic supplement found anywhere.

This is where I get my stuff.

Coach Marc :)

Jun 6, 2009
Other than the pretty benign supplements Marc reommended. I can't see any need for any other supplementation unless the player has a specific metaboli c need for something and if she does, then she needs to see her doctor. 90% of supplements are hoakum and the only concrete results you'll see is a definite lightening of the wallet.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
they should eat a healthy balance diet, 4 or 5 small meals per day.

Vitamin E can be beneficial for speeding recovery from hard workouts, Omega 3, and a good multivitamin to prevent any dietary deficiencies.

Oct 30, 2009
Dallas
Marc hit it on the head. Theoretically, girls should be able to get bigger, faster, and stronger without the use of any supplements outside of a multi-vitamin and fish oil/flaxseed. You can supplement your girls' DHA needs with fish oil capsules and the multis are essential. Outside of that, it's all about diet & dedication.

One should always try to eat whole foods. When this isn't a practical solution, some meal replacement bars/shakes can be beneficial. Check out this blog post focused on bars:

Health & Fastpitch: Bar Fight

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Echoing what Marc said:

Girls (and everyone, for that matter) should pay careful attention to make sure they are getting sufficient protein. It is difficult to get sufficient protein during a day without taking a supplement.

By using a free webtool such as Nutrimirror or "Livestrong", a person can track their food intake and find any deficiencies.

Jun 24, 2013
The only supplements we used were high protein shakes. We used them because my oldest DD would lose weight faster than she could gain it. She is like me and has a very high metablolism. We were worried when her growth started to fall below the 50th percentile and her younger sister passed her. She is now able to put on weight, which her body needs to be able to grow.

moe

Aug 14, 2013
I like promasil protein blend myself. Covers the different types of proteins to cover an athletes needs. it is not a weightlifters protein. When DD's get a bit older it is what I will let them use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207