Stopping shoulder rotation in swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Without further ado. This is a older video, but serves the purpose of showing her doing it.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Easy now, no need for the insults. I did read Donny's presentation but missed that. I just went back and looked at it and do see HIS definition of arm-bar, mea culpa.
That said, I don't see Griffey's weight-shifting predominantly to his front side before he fully extends his lead arm..if you do fine. Looks to me foot pressure is 70-30, 60-40 back foot - front foot.

Post the frame where you see Griffy's lead-arm fully extended.

Jun 8, 2016
Post the frame where you see Griffy's lead-arm fully extended.

test00008.jpg

Frame before this one his front foot is off the ground. Also while Donny says fully extended, I am not sure
the forearm/upper arm angle has to be near 180 degrees, e.g. complete extension (which it isn't for Griffey) for it to be arm-bar.

Look this is a silly argument as a) it is getting away from the OP and b)if my kid arm-barred like Griffey (according
to my definition) and hit like Griffey I wouldn't be saying a word to him/her.

Last edited:

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Without further ado. This is a older video, but serves the purpose of showing her doing it.

I could be wrong, but it looks like bat drag and then no power on contact -that is why the bat slows down so much on impact. The shoulder rotation problem you are describing is the result of the bat drag earlier in the swing.

Oct 2, 2017
I could be wrong, but it looks like bat drag and then no power on contact -that is why the bat slows down so much on impact. The shoulder rotation problem you are describing is the result of the bat drag earlier in the swing.

That is correct about the bat drag. This was a older video and she has made improvements with that. Even with the improvement she was doing it though.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
View attachment 13687

Frame before this one his front foot is off the ground. Also while Donny says fully extended, I am not sure
the forearm/upper arm angle has to be near 180 degrees, e.g. complete extension (which it isn't for Griffey) for it to be arm-bar.

Look this is a silly argument as a) it is getting away from the OP and b)if my kid arm-barred like Griffey (according
to my definition) and hit like Griffey I wouldn't be saying a word to him/her.

Let me try this again ...

Arm-Bar is when a hitter extends the lead arm fully and THEN shifts their weight.

Not only did you select a frame in which the weight was already in the process of shifting, but the lead-arm was not fully extended.

Arm-Bar-Nonsense.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Almost ... yes to this being bat drag ... however bat drag can lead to significant whipping action. One of the reasons bat drag is so tough to correct is because at a young age it can catch up to poor pitching, and the leveraging that takes place in bat drag is enough to send the ball further out than many kids that supposedly have cleaner mechanics. A kid with bat drag, that is launching the ball, sees little incentive to make a correction. They tend to embed their swing mechanics and later become disappointed when they learn that their swing does not scale.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The OP's follow-up video shows what he was attempting to describe. The trunk rotation turns towards the pitcher and stops. I see this in many young developing hitters ... regardless of the bat drag that is present in this particular swing.

Jun 8, 2016
Let me try this again ...

Arm-Bar is when a hitter extends the lead arm fully and THEN shifts their weight.

Not only did you select a frame in which the weight was already in the process of shifting, but the lead-arm was not fully extended.

Arm-Bar-Nonsense.gif

I gotcha the first time and as I stated I don't believe you need to fully extend for problems to occur regarding creating a corner, being short to, etc. Also, FYI weight doesn't shift anymore than the length of your nose shifts...So are you talking about a shift in COM or COP?

Anyway, I am done arguing as it has nothing to do with OP, so no need to answer above question. You win, according to Donny Buster,
aka The God of Swing Mechanics, Griffey doesn't arm-bar. Happy?
Also, for its worth, I liked his presentation. Doesn't mean I need to take everything he says as truth.

Jun 8, 2016
Almost ... yes to this being bat drag ... however bat drag can lead to significant whipping action. One of the reasons bat drag is so tough to correct is because at a young age it can catch up to poor pitching, and the leveraging that takes place in bat drag is enough to send the ball further out than many kids that supposedly have cleaner mechanics. A kid with bat drag, that is launching the ball, sees little incentive to make a correction. They tend to embed their swing mechanics and later become disappointed when they learn that their swing does not scale.

This is all wonderful, but do you see "significant whipping action" in this swing? I don't..looks like the air she is swinging has the viscosity of molasses..

Does OP have a full speed video??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32