Steals and Secondary leads

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
What is the proper stance for a secondary lead or a straight steal? Does the stance even matter? I've seen most girls start with their left foot on the bag, the right foot off, and they crouch down to the right before taking off into their secondary lead or straight steal (this seems inefficient to me). I want to know what coaches are teaching and for what reason. This way the girls are training as efficient as possible. I uploaded some video of myself trying some of these secondary leads and straight steals to see what felt more comfortable to me and what seemed more efficient (left foot on bag crouching to right or crouching to the left side). Let me know what everyone thinks. Again, Im trying to understand what the proper stance is so when we train initial take offs and straight steals, they will be training as specific as possible.

When crouching to the right side the right arm has to delay or drive back in order for the right foot to come forward and the left arm to drive out.. so that you are running opposite arm opposite leg. This technique seems inefficient to me.

Softball Steals Twist Right - YouTube

When crouching to the left side, the right foot moves out. You are driving off the left leg. The arms and legs are already in sync. (opposite arm opposite leg). So why wouldn't you start like this every time?

Softball Steals Twist Left - YouTube

Jul 26, 2010
There's been quite a few threads on this. The end result is that different leads work better for different kids. The only way to be sure is to time each kid while trying different leads. Bear in mind that many techniques are designed to minimize issues of "leaving early", so often the back leg will move first so the front foot remains in contact with the bag (safe) during the first stride to prevent being called out.

-W

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
Great. Thanks. I can see how it will minimize the issue of leaving early. I've found that most girls are comfortable with crouching to the right because that is what they have been taught their entire softball careers. Timing each athlete will be the deciding factor as to which style and technique they want to use. Thanks for the thoughts.

Austin

Jul 26, 2010
Great. Thanks. I can see how it will minimize the issue of leaving early. I've found that most girls are comfortable with crouching to the right because that is what they have been taught their entire softball careers. Timing each athlete will be the deciding factor as to which style and technique they want to use. Thanks for the thoughts.

Austin

No problem. You'll probably find that the most athletic kids are actually faster with a traditional "baseball" style lead, whereas the weaker kids benefit from being in a running position from the getgo. At least that's what I found.

Here's a thread that Ken Krause posted a year or so ago:

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/ken...est-way-get-off-first-steal.html#.TwShotVKTrQ

-W

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Someone else also posted a technique for leaving with the rocker style start by timing the leave according to the pitchers arm position as a clock. This has made an incredible difference in my DD's base running. Basically, she leaves when the pitcher's arm gets to 12 o'clock when she is not stealing, and between 6 and 9 o'clock when she is, depending on the pitcher's arm speed. It is also helpful to know that, according to umpires I have asked, they consider the release to be when the pitcher's arm reaches the hip for delivery (approx. 6 o'clock).

I agree that most girls using the rocker start leave way late, but when they don't, man, it's a thing of beauty. DD sometimes looks like she is full speed before the pitcher is even close to release. During HS this year, EVERY time she stole a base the other coach came out of the dugout complaining she left early. She was never called for it, even though sometimes even I thought she may have.

Feb 9, 2011
We let the kids get in the position they are most comfortable, some like the rocker some like the sprinter position with their rear foot on the bag, DD likes to be in a sprint poisiton with her power leg on the the bag and using it as a start block. This puts her back a few feet further than other girls but she comes of the bag at almost a full sprint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG