So this is what I did, what do you think?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
OK, I may be crazy, but the final result is more important than the road traveled. I am coaching a 14u rec team. The players on the team are quite good. My number 1 pitcher should be pitching travel, but isn't. First game we played a weaker team, I would of pitched my number 3 pitcher, but she was away for the day, so I went with my 1 for 4 innings and finished with my number 2. The result was a 14 - 0 2 hitter. They played better than any team I ever coached and I felt bad for the other team and tried the usual step off the base early and the ump miss it. So the next game I started my number 2 for 3 innings and put in my number 3 who pitched 1 inning and didn't fare well. we lost 8 -5. Now, if I started my number 1, I am pretty confident that we would of won. If I kept my starter in, we might of won. However, I feel that I need to teach them more then depending on the pitcher to win the game. Besides, it is suppose to be a learning experience and they need to win and lose as a team. I am going to mix it up the rest of season til the playoffs.
So as I said, what do you think?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
To many coaches riding the number one makes a shortage of pitchers later on. Pitchers mature and develop at different rates. How many times have you seen a dominant 10U be the number 3 by 12 or 14U. You can't be sure when they are ready until they are and they don't all get there at the same time.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
You were fair. Rec ball is not all about the wins it is for building basic fundamentals for the kids to all get better. If number 1 pitched all the time then #3 would never get better. I always started my #2 in rec and if got ugly I put in #1 to teach her how to build determination to come back. If #2 was doing good we would put in #3 to finish the game. Lot of times this actually helps #1 more than any one, keeps her in check of reality that we all replaceable. My rec ball team is what fed a new travel ball team and hopefully local school B and JV teams.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
mix it up. Just be sure that the fact that the number one is so much better does not mean that she does not get her fair share of time because other girls need the time to develop. We also have an obligation as coaches to ensure that kids who excel get their opportunity to improve.

Jun 24, 2013
I advise mixing it up. In the rec leagues I was in usually the first 1-3 innings were capped at 5 runs and 4+ were unlimited runs. I usually played my #2, #3 and sometimes #'s 4,5,6 in those early innings. It gave girls who wanted to try pitching a chance without feeling like they gave up a ton of runs. If we got behind by a large margin, I would insert #1 and #1A to keep the game closer.

Riding your #1 all season will leave a lot of bad tastes in peoples mouths. Build up your backups, you never know when your #1 will wake up puking and with a fever on playoff day.

Also agree with not punishing the #1 for excelling. Sounds like you plan to mix it up, which will be good.

Jun 7, 2013
This is Rec league. Winning isn't the most important thing. Use all of your pitchers. Play all of your players. And Have Fun!

One year I was an AC in rec league to a HC who wanted to make the jump into traveling and have a winning record amongst his credentials. He rode those girls, focused on the better players, and played hard for every victory. He made it not as much fun for everybody, but he was accepted as a traveling coach. That's what's important, wasn't it?

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
I had a situation with a rec game that caused some lasting conflict. I set a schedule of positions prior to the game starting with the second best pitcher (3 innings), then number 3 (2 innings) and then end with my best pitcher (2 innings). I expected a close game. The league takes great pains to divide the talent evenly.

By the end of the 5th inning we were ahead 18-0. It was a fluke. We weren't that much better than them. It was just that day, our hitting went through the roof and the other team got discouraged. We were playing station-to-station ball by the 4th inning.

So here was the problem. I had a rotation set up. They all deserved to pitch, so I put in our number 1 for the last 2 innings even though the game was long ago decided.

I wish I had been more sensitive about the feelings of the other team. I really wish I had disregarded the scheduled rotation and let someone pitch and give the # 1 some more pitching time in another game.

The other coaches were pretty mad at me and thought I was just piling on. The other coach was a hot-head and he held on to that situation for several years thinking I had purposefully slighted him and his team.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think what you are doing is great. Having a strong staff with at least 1 dominant pitcher can be a double edge sword. While it is great to be able to shutdown an offense all too often the defense gets complacent. They need to be able to win no matter who is in the circle. I am in the same situation with my 18U team and have told my DD that I want her to find something else to do this weekend. They will need to step up and play ball.

Oct 22, 2009
You have to mix it up. You need to show the weaker pitchers that they need to work more, and their parents. You need to show the players how much it is a team sport and if the pitcher is allowing hits, then as a player you have to field these hits. Too many rec players think it's jut about hitting the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck