Middle School Softball Pitching advice.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2012
Hey! I coach middle school softball so pretty much 13U. We are approaching our regionals and are about to see the same team for the fourth time. Not only that, we will most likely play them in the playoffs in a week. I have thrown my top pitcher for 10 innings so far out of the first three. Mixed in others. Do I show her to them again for a game prior to regionals? Does it matter? We have beaten them 3 in a row, but all right games. Any advice to seeing a pitcher multiple times. Good/bad.

Thanks

May 18, 2019
I'll give my argument. Hitters definitely adjust even in middle school. On sluggers side there is something to be said for just having a winning mentality and not providing hope to an opponent that is weaker. I'd probably base my decision on the girls I had and what I think they need modeled to be successful in life beyond the game alone. I have an older daughter with a change that can be picked with enough reps so I've seen the impact of a team seeing too many and catching onto it ultimately leading to them sharing a championship vs winning outright. Ymmv.

Jun 21, 2019
I would throw multiple pitchers, but, more importantly, approach each batter differently than usual. I'm unsure if you track this, but adjusting how you call pitcher for each hitter will have more impact. Example: If you like to throw outside to Hitter X, throw mostly inside in this next game. Keep them off-balance.

May 13, 2023
Hey! I coach middle school softball so pretty much 13U. We are approaching our regionals and are about to see the same team for the fourth time. Not only that, we will most likely play them in the playoffs in a week. I have thrown my top pitcher for 10 innings so far out of the first three. Mixed in others. Do I show her to them again for a game prior to regionals? Does it matter? We have beaten them 3 in a row, but all right games. Any advice to seeing a pitcher multiple times. Good/bad.

Thanks
In the games you have already faced them, what has been the outcome of the opposing team hitters?

How much control do your pitchers actually have?
1. Throwing strikes when needed?
2. Throwing to locations?

Do your pitchers have effective change-ups?

How many errors per game does your defense generally fudge?

Oct 4, 2018
Pitch her and don't worry about it.

Yeah, if she's winning against them and you want to win, keep pitching her.

I mean the Braves don't sit John Smoltz because the Pirates have seen him 7 times already. :)

I do think that girls can time up a pitcher on their 3rd time through the lineup. But girls (and especially younger girls) certainly won't "remember" this pitcher and do better because they're seeing her the fourth time this season. If anything, your pitcher is in their head and they're thinking "we can't beat this girl".

Aug 4, 2012
In the games you have already faced them, what has been the outcome of the opposing team hitters?

How much control do your pitchers actually have?
1. Throwing strikes when needed?
2. Throwing to locations?

Do your pitchers have effective change-ups?

How many errors per game does your defense generally fudge?

She is pretty effective in throwing strikes when needed and usually can hit locations. They have 2ER on her in 10 innings. Her change up is not that great, but has great movement on her fastball and rise. Defense is decent behind her. Just mainly care if the hitters have an advantage to seeing her multiple times and also within a week of each outing.

May 13, 2023
She is pretty effective in throwing strikes when needed and usually can hit locations. They have 2ER on her in 10 innings. Her change up is not that great, but has great movement on her fastball and rise. Defense is decent behind her.

Just mainly care if the hitters have an advantage to seeing her multiple times and also within a week of each outing.
This is why I asked how others teams hitting was when played them. So here is a suggestion.

Without knowing how you're calling pitches
(and a guess that because the pitchers change up isn't that great... guessing you may not call it much?)

will suggest this
In basic one thing you can do is if the batters start getting on the pitcher is throw more change ups to booger up timing.
Pending the ball strike count on the batter, even if they are not thrown for strikes throw them in the count to throw off timing... bonus...their brains might get teased trying to figure out when a changeup might be coming.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
She is pretty effective in throwing strikes when needed and usually can hit locations. They have 2ER on her in 10 innings. Her change up is not that great, but has great movement on her fastball and rise. Defense is decent behind her. Just mainly care if the hitters have an advantage to seeing her multiple times and also within a week of each outing.
How many days between? Will the other team play another team in between? Is she out of the norm with velocity?
Generally will not matter that much. In tournaments sometimes you see a team multiple times, probably not good to go one game Saturday then one Sunday vs same team. Next week not as big a deal.
If the pitcher is like 5mph faster every time the hitters see them they will get better. Just assuming your 8th grade league is like ours with players of all levels. It is not that c level hitter cannot adjust to better pitching they just need reps.
Hitters (or coaches) will remember things like throwing first pitch strikes so you may have to change it up a bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles